Will ever have fully 3D models???

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
SirDetSilent

Will ever have fully 3D models???

Post by SirDetSilent »

I find the game really hard to play when every character looks the same, makes the world feel very dead and fake, i really want to enjoy the game but 3 things stop me, the oversized dungeons, the lack of writing for guild quests and the 2d sprites.

DaveCastle

Re: Will ever have fully 3D models???

Post by DaveCastle »

I recommend the following:
1. Look up "c:\Users\<your user name>\appdata\LocalLow\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity\settings.ini" and change the SmallerDungeons parameter to True but make absolutely sure you have no active unfinished dungeon quests before you do this. This reduces the number of blocks in each random dungeon - you'll effectively be doing random dungeons 1/3 of the original size.
2. Install this mod: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=924
3. I guess there's not much to do about this apart from waiting until someone finishes their models (don't hold your breath). Or perhaps play a newer TES game? Although characters in the most recent ones don't feel any less fake and samey to me.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
- Mark Twain

SirDetSilent

Post by SirDetSilent »

DaveCastle wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:10 am I recommend the following:
1. Look up "c:\Users\<your user name>\appdata\LocalLow\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity\settings.ini" and change the SmallerDungeons parameter to True but make absolutely sure you have no active unfinished dungeon quests before you do this. This reduces the number of blocks in each random dungeon - you'll effectively be doing random dungeons 1/3 of the original size.
3. I guess there's not much to do about this apart from waiting until someone finishes their models (don't hold your breath). Or perhaps play a newer TES game? Although characters in the most recent ones don't feel any less fake and samey to me.
Skyrim is too shallow, played Oblivion and Morrowind to hell and back, nothing else to do in them, they should have released a new TES game 2-3 years ago but the reality is it will be terrible.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

Daggerfall isn't any deeper, regardless of how broad the world map is. A mile wide and an inch deep, only Daggerfall is 800 kilometers wide and still an inch deep.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

There is no shallower "RPG" than Skyrim. No classes, no advantages/birthsigns, no attributes, no spellmaking, no durability, no athletics/acrobatics, less weapon types, less armor slots, no real dialogue options with npc, no underwater, less spell schools, terrible writing, terrible quests, terrible voice "acting", decent soundtrack(but bad by TES standards), worst dungeons in the series, terrible main story, second smallest area in mainline TES games, and ugly as hell, i mean they practically only used 3 colors white, gray and brown. Skyrim is my most hated game of all time.

SirDetSilent

Post by SirDetSilent »

DaveCastle wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:10 am I recommend the following:
The thing with daggerfall is if it were 25% the size and 4 times more detailed youd have a much better game that was still vast.

Same goes for dengeons, they should e mostly linear as dungeons are like that, they are man made, no reason to have them be confusing as it just makes them harder to work in.

Hopefully once lost games will deliver something.

pango

Post by pango »

SirDetSilent wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:52 pm The thing with daggerfall is if it were 25% the size and 4 times more detailed youd have a much better game that was still vast.
Making it 25% the size would not have made it 4 times more detailed.
4 times the development time would have.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

SirDetSilent

Post by SirDetSilent »

pango wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:24 pm
SirDetSilent wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:52 pm The thing with daggerfall is if it were 25% the size and 4 times more detailed youd have a much better game that was still vast.
One of the issue is fast traveling everywhere, you dont really explore, make it a quarter the size with the same amount of things and make the content density 4 times higher.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

SirDetSilent wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:29 pm
One of the issue is fast traveling everywhere, you dont really explore, make it a quarter the size with the same amount of things and make the content density 4 times higher.
Instead of Fast Travelling everywhere, have you tried this?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1293

SirDetSilent

Post by SirDetSilent »

Firebrand wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:33 pm
SirDetSilent wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:29 pm

Instead of Fast Travelling everywhere, have you tried this?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1293
Yes its not good at all, what i mean is the content density is very very low, thats a problem, its a big empty world in a lot of ways with mostly tasks not quests, this means little to no story, there are some mods to try and change that but then you get into the fact everyone is a sprite and a lot of them look the same, im sure mods will fix this eventually but as of now the game just feels empty, then when you do do some tasks the dungeons are big and samey even with the tweak to make them smaller.

Its not fun to wonder around the same area for close to an hour trying to find some hidden door, its just cryptic and bad game design, thats not rewarding.