I never understood why potions cant be bought at the Mages Guild

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
The Holy Knight

I never understood why potions cant be bought at the Mages Guild

Post by The Holy Knight »

its weird to me that you have to buy potions or make them at the Temples and not the Mages Guild

Ralzar

Re: I never understood why potions cant be bought at the Mages Guild

Post by Ralzar »

Well, there should be something that isn’t supplied by the mages guild :)

The Holy Knight

but you can also do Daedra Summoning at the Mages Guild too. They should have traded that for potion buying and leave the Temples with the Daedra Summoning, haha idk

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

If there was any thought behind the design choice (and with Daggerfall, who knows?) I'd say it was that potions are used as a way to give someone spell abilites instead of casting spells. Since Mages Guild members are expected to use spells, they're not interested in spells-in-a-bottle.

But really, I'd like the Mages Guild service-monopoly to be broken up a bit. Or equally beneficial services added to other guilds.
Last edited by Ralzar on Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Holy Knight

I guess I can see your point of view :lol:

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Also why does Temple of Arkay sell soul gems? You need to be in Mage's Guild anyway to use them. I understand why School of Julianos sell them as they have their own magic item crafters, but Temple of Arkay selling them is kinda pointless. You cannot even make money(which is a damn shame) by soul trapping things so even that's off the table.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yep, the guild services are a mess when you look outside the Mages Guild.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Ralzar wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:41 pm Yep, the guild services are a mess when you look outside the Mages Guild.
Maybe they were randomly generated too. :D

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

Some day someone needs to do a rebalance of the Guilds, Shops, and Temples. Potion Selling and Making should be available at a premium from Alchemists. Arkay needs soul gems removed from their inventory. Fighters should sell high quality weapons and armor, or even have a discount at some stores. I don't think Mages need to be nerfed but others need a bit of a buff.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Now that i think about it, Dark Brotherhood selling soul gems is equally pointless as Temple of Arkay selling them. I wonder if there ever was an idea of creating magic items without joining the mages guild or School of Julianos. It would be great if there were a way, like perhaps a mod that gives you an opportunity to create a magic item if you complete a specific quest or task...perhaps doing some quest for Witch Covens would allow them to craft one for you. Or perhaps creating a Magic Items could be done with any smiths, but with ridiculously high price like 10-50x price. Even better idea would be to add a new skill "Enchant" that would allow you to create magic items yourself directly by using a "spell" called Enchant...or something like that. I am quite sure that's impossible to mod though.