I never understood why potions cant be bought at the Mages Guild

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ommamar

Re: I never understood why potions cant be bought at the Mages Guild

Post by Ommamar »

Seferoth wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:19 am Now that i think about it, Dark Brotherhood selling soul gems is equally pointless as Temple of Arkay selling them. I wonder if there ever was an idea of creating magic items without joining the mages guild or School of Julianos. It would be great if there were a way, like perhaps a mod that gives you an opportunity to create a magic item if you complete a specific quest or task...perhaps doing some quest for Witch Covens would allow them to craft one for you. Or perhaps creating a Magic Items could be done with any smiths, but with ridiculously high price like 10-50x price. Even better idea would be to add a new skill "Enchant" that would allow you to create magic items yourself directly by using a "spell" called Enchant...or something like that. I am quite sure that's impossible to mod though.
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Aren't potions for people who can't cast spells? Why would a guild of spellcasters bother with potions?

Maybe the better question is why the item enchanter is at the mages guild when spellcasters are the least reliant on weapons and armor?

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:00 am Aren't potions for people who can't cast spells? Why would a guild of spellcasters bother with potions?

Maybe the better question is why the item enchanter is at the mages guild when spellcasters are the least reliant on weapons and armor?
Magic rings,amulets,bracers,bracelets,marks and jewels. Also magical robes,capes,etc. So, i don't think Enchanters are out of place in Mage's Guild. Oh, and can't forget enchanted wands.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

It wold actually be an interesting dynamic if allmost only Mages Guilds had soulstones, but magic items were made by some other guilds smiths.

Or if Mages Guilds only offered to make magic items from cloths and gems?

TheYellowDart

Post by TheYellowDart »

The promotion dialogue for when you reach the rank required to use potion services in Temples and Dark Brotherhood usually says something along the lines of "Now you won't have to go to the Mages' Guild for your potion needs anymore," which seems to suggest that at least initially Mages Guilds were supposed to sell potions. I don't know if this was axed for a specific reason (MG already providing so many services) or just a time limitation.

I think the intent behind soul gems in factions without enchanting (Arkay, Dark Brotherhood) is flipping them - buy an empty soul gem, fill it with a powerful soul, and sell it for a profit.

I definitely think it would be good to open up enchanting a little bit, though. It's such a cool and powerful function that keeping it locked behind getting halfway up the MG ladder seems a real shame. One possibility could be having MG provide enchanting to everyone but offering a Fighter's Guild-style discount to members. Another possibility could be adding enchanting elsewhere in the world. It's nice that the Temple of Julianos will also do it but they've got enough skill overlap with the Mages Guild that it doesn't feel like a huge change. I've been wondering if having Witches provide enchanting services to the general public would be a good way of killing two birds with one stone - making enchanting available to any character build while also making Witch Covens a more exciting discovery than just more convenient Daedra summoning.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

TheYellowDart wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:27 pm The promotion dialogue for when you reach the rank required to use potion services in Temples and Dark Brotherhood usually says something along the lines of "Now you won't have to go to the Mages' Guild for your potion needs anymore," which seems to suggest that at least initially Mages Guilds were supposed to sell potions. I don't know if this was axed for a specific reason (MG already providing so many services) or just a time limitation.

I think the intent behind soul gems in factions without enchanting (Arkay, Dark Brotherhood) is flipping them - buy an empty soul gem, fill it with a powerful soul, and sell it for a profit.

I definitely think it would be good to open up enchanting a little bit, though. It's such a cool and powerful function that keeping it locked behind getting halfway up the MG ladder seems a real shame. One possibility could be having MG provide enchanting to everyone but offering a Fighter's Guild-style discount to members. Another possibility could be adding enchanting elsewhere in the world. It's nice that the Temple of Julianos will also do it but they've got enough skill overlap with the Mages Guild that it doesn't feel like a huge change. I've been wondering if having Witches provide enchanting services to the general public would be a good way of killing two birds with one stone - making enchanting available to any character build while also making Witch Covens a more exciting discovery than just more convenient Daedra summoning.
You cannot sell soul gems for profit.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Seferoth wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:29 pm
TheYellowDart wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:27 pm The promotion dialogue for when you reach the rank required to use potion services in Temples and Dark Brotherhood usually says something along the lines of "Now you won't have to go to the Mages' Guild for your potion needs anymore," which seems to suggest that at least initially Mages Guilds were supposed to sell potions. I don't know if this was axed for a specific reason (MG already providing so many services) or just a time limitation.

Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Ommamar wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:40 pm
Seferoth wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:29 pm

The only way to profit from them is to enchant items then sell the item.
The price of your items do not increase when you enchant them. So, no you cannot do this either, and remember that soul gems cost 5000 gold each. So you will never make money by enchanting items.

TheYellowDart

Post by TheYellowDart »

Seferoth wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:29 pm You cannot sell soul gems for profit.
Right, hence why I said the intent behind it (again based on promotion dialogue). I should have specified that it didn't actually work that way. As it is now it's a broken system, and frankly even if it worked as intended it wouldn't be that tantalizing - you're looking at a 5k investment on top of making sure you have some way to soul trap enemies, which can be tough to come by if you aren't some sort of magic user (at which point why not just use the merchant in the MG). And it's not like money's hard to come by in this game.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

TheYellowDart wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:24 pm
Seferoth wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:29 pm You cannot sell soul gems for profit.
Right, hence why I said the intent behind it (again based on promotion dialogue). I should have specified that it didn't actually work that way. As it is now it's a broken system, and frankly even if it worked as intended it wouldn't be that tantalizing - you're looking at a 5k investment on top of making sure you have some way to soul trap enemies, which can be tough to come by if you aren't some sort of magic user (at which point why not just use the merchant in the MG). And it's not like money's hard to come by in this game.
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.