Daggerfall Unity 0.3 General Discussion

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Xaphir

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.3 General Discussion

Post by Xaphir »

Nystul wrote:furthermore when pressing escape the menu screen only flashes up for a moment and closes immediately for me. I thus cannot load/save or exit the game via the menu.
Nystul, are you on windoze? Cause I ran build 32 and got the exact same problem as you have.

Xaphir

Post by Xaphir »

Interkarma wrote:Edit2: Think I have both of these licked. New builds will be up soon.
IK, I've only seen one thing so far in limited exploration, and it's not really a big thing. In Linux34, a dungeon with some mummies, I ran into a harpy that had mummy sound effects.

Other than that, works great so far.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Cheers! I have that problem in my internal bug list. I just need to affect a good fix.

Problem happens because I'm "thin provisioning" the monsters before serialization. If the player has no contact with a monster, then it doesn't get saved. This makes dungeon saves leaner, but has side effects.
  1. Reloading a save can result in a non-encountered random foe being re-instantiated to something different.
  2. A quirk (bug) in my enemy setup can result in wrong sound pack being assigned to the re-instantiated mobile.
My feeling is just to save all monsters present in a dungeon (encountered or not) so this doesn't happen. It will be a lot more consistent overall. But I want to fix that sound assignment issue first.

I'm just leaving it as-is for now, but fixes will get rolled in before too long.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote:
Nystul wrote:hmm terrain transition ring is still not present :( would like to understand what causes this
Nystul wrote: furthermore when pressing escape the menu screen only flashes up for a moment and closes immediately for me. I thus cannot load/save or exit the game via the menu.
Edit2: Think I have both of these licked. New builds will be up soon.
yeah working now! thanks! looks great and even runs smoother than when launching the scene from the editor.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Good result, thanks for the update. :)

Michael_TEFL

Post by Michael_TEFL »

Running Build #39 02-Sep-16 (Stable 0.3 RC2) on my Windows XP SP3 system (Pentium G840, 4 Gb RAM, Intel HD integrated video).

So far it's good - old problems seem to be gone (no black textures instead of land, no immediate crashes with "Real-time reflections" on - I need to look for the latter more, but it's not important for now). FPS rate is good (with "Distant land" off) and tolerable with "Distant land" on.

Multiple saves work fine so far, looting works too. It's excellent work!

Any specific things to look for?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Cheers, appreciate the feedback.

Nothing specific to look for right now. If everything is running more or less OK, I'm basically happy to tag the next build as stable. This will then become the baseline for modding with Lypyl's mod system, using DFTFU, tutorials, all that stuff.

Then I can get busy breaking it all over again with quests and supporting features in the 0.4 cycle. Fun! :)

Michael_TEFL

Post by Michael_TEFL »

Is it just me, or swinging weapons works somewhat inconsistently?
No matter how I move the mouse (while holding right mouse key) the weapon swings only occasionally.

Xaphir

Post by Xaphir »

Michael_TEFL wrote:Is it just me, or swinging weapons works somewhat inconsistently?
No matter how I move the mouse (while holding right mouse key) the weapon swings only occasionally.

Michael, follow this procedure to get your weapon tuned up:

Preface: Edit your settings.ini file for Daggerfall Unity

1) Under [Experimental], set DebugWeaponSwings = True

2) Confirm that WeaponSwingThreshold = 0.8 and WeaponSwingTriggerCount = 3 (Starting Point Defaults). Default for WeaponSenstivity should be already set at 1, for now.

3) Go into the game and swing a weapon horizontally from left to right and back. Watch your mouseX and mouseY values in the upper left hand corner of your screen; note what the maximum peaks are.

4) The range you want those numbers to be in are <= 4. (Some peaking above 4 is ok, you are concerned with averages; 85 to 90% is what you want to be seeing)

5) The first step to start normalizing your mouseX and mouseY values are to begin adjusting your WeaponSensitivity in .1 increments, up or down, depending on what your mouseX/mouseY are averaging.

Example: mouseX/mouseY is blasting at +30 or more. Adjust WeaponSensitivity down ( .1 increments) until your average peaks are at 4. (This means edit your settings.ini, enter game, test, exit game, edit settings.ini, reenter game.....etc.)

Example: mouseX/mouseY is peaking at 2.45. Adjust WeaponSensitivity up until you are seeing an average peak of 4. Again, a minority of numbers over 4 is ok, as long as you are peaking 90% or so on 4. Expect variances.

6) Now you just laid the groundwork for what is to come. This is where we get increased control of the weapon, and faster reaction times. With your X/Y numbers now in spec, to improve control of the weapon, start increasing sensitivity of the WeaponSwingThreshold parameter downwards in .1 increments. Once your control of weapon movement is is what you expect, you now want to perfect your reaction time.

Note: Checking control means you need to test every available aspect of weapon movement, in every test instance. Example, blade: Forward plunge, left-right down diagonal, right-left down diagonal, horizontal left-right, horizontal right-left, vertical downstroke.

7) After you adjust WeaponSwingThreshold, recheck your mouseX/mouseY numbers again, it is probable that they have changed. If they are out of spec, you need to revisit step 5 and bring them back into spec. Then, jump back to step 8.

8) Reaction time is affected by WeaponSwingTriggerCount. This parameter only works with whole integers. Interkarma will have to confirm the exact upper limits on this parameter, but the bottom line is to adjust downward to get faster reaction time. In my case, going from 3 to 2 was just about perfect.

9) Do a final check on your mouseX/mouseY numbers. They should be ok; but ymmv. If not, revisit step 5.

For me personally, on my system, the best settings I arrived at were the following:

WeaponSwingThreshold = 0.9
WeaponSwingTriggerCount = 2
WeaponSensitivity = 1.2

Michael_TEFL

Post by Michael_TEFL »

Thanks a lot for the hint! Now it's playable.

My settings:
WeaponSwingThreshold = 0.7
WeaponSwingTriggerCount = 2
WeaponSensitivity = 0.7