Dungeons outside the world map

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
L57

Dungeons outside the world map

Post by L57 »

Probably almost any DF fan know about Mantellan Crux entrance and personal ships. But recently I had pretty interesting expirience when I decided to reach the Eastern borders of the world map in DFU.

I arrived in Crimson Djinn Inn and ran strictly east. it was a long trip. I am patient and ran without console in good faith. It took about hour in total (waste of time at it worst, I know), then I tired and sped up x50, then x70 and finally x100.

I ran another five or ten minutes until I saw the entrance to the lair in the distance. Unfortunately I didn't think of capturing this and take a screenshot, but it was pretty similar to this one: https://www.dfworkshop.net/wp-content/u ... -court.jpg the same swampy land but with different type of ruins.

There were some bats and scorpion inside, also apparently vast underwater part as well, but I decided not to explore the dungeon. Came out of there and continued to run eastwards and reached the invisible wall in half a minute or so.

Could somebody say what it was? It's highly unlikely to be a dungeon from mods, I don't use anything quest- or map-related besides Daggerfall Unity quest pack 1, Hills and Mountains and Windmills of DF. Obviously, this location isn't supposed to be visited, because it is located outside the map. Are there any other such dungeons in the game?

A few more questions:

I guess, it is possible to reach player ships without buying them and fasttrevel? :D Is it still fully functional (safe storage and such)? Apart from the obvious inability to use it via world map.

Are there any 'secret' dungeons on the world map which do not appear in the quests at all? I know only this one: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Cybiades

Jeoshua

Re: Dungeons outside the world map

Post by Jeoshua »

There are a handful of dungeons along the eastern border that don't technically appear on the overworld map. They're not "secret" or anything, they're just randomly generated locations within one pixel of the internal game map's edge, and therefore not shown on the map. It's kind of a bug, but not a critical one.

L57

Post by L57 »

Jeoshua wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:26 am There are a handful of dungeons along the eastern border that don't technically appear on the overworld map. They're not "secret" or anything, they're just randomly generated locations within one pixel of the internal game map's edge, and therefore not shown on the map. It's kind of a bug, but not a critical one.
Ok, thank you. So they still can be visited as a quest location and should be 'searchable' on the world map via 'find' option?

It's interesting that actual game world is wider than world map. Why is it so? I guess the western border has the same feature — probably to exclude western edge of the world map with Mantellan Crux or something like that. And thus they cut off the edges of the map symmetrically.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

It's what is known as an "off by one error". It crops up from time to time in computer programming. Long story short, different types of computations start counting at zero, others at one. This leads to some issues at the edges.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Jeoshua wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:40 am It's what is known as an "off by one error". It crops up from time to time in computer programming. Long story short, different types of computations start counting at zero, others at one. This leads to some issues at the edges.
I took a college class with a computer science teacher that ranted about this all the time. He wouldn't just mention it and if someone asked a question about it (which people did when they realized his reaction to it) he would go on a 15 minute rant about how things always must start from zero. I agreed with what he was saying but it was funny to watch him get so worked up over it, no idea what the cause was but something must of happened in his past to make it such a big deal to him.