Simple things

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ommamar

Simple things

Post by Ommamar » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:40 pm

I recently got it a long discussion (lasted over many days but that has a lot to do with the medium) of how small differences in a game world can make a huge difference. It initially started as why I preferred Daggerfalls combat system over Morrorwinds. Although they both use a dice roll and modifiers I have always felt that Daggerfall did it better, when pressed I realized it was simply because in Daggerfall there is a block/parry sound played during combat. I think it is either random or on a set timer (someone who has dug into the scripts could say better). What it did was give my mind a reason that my strike didn't do any damage. In Morrorwind this simple thing isn't there so the times that it appeared that my weapon made contact but did no damage was so much more noticeable that it demotivated me to continue playing the game.

The second game talked about was The Outer Worlds, up until the last patch there was no auto run (this would be such a good feature to add to DFU). I think there was some reasons for this as you really have to stretch that game by looking in every nook and cranny, that is in fact one of the biggest criticisms. So the uses of auto run might of made the game seem even smaller as you no longer have to constantly maintain pressure to move your character. I don't know how it would feel if I had it as a new player as I have played it quite a bit so I know the areas pretty well so move through them quickly but I was always annoyed it didn't have it.

The last one we focused on was Fallout 4 vs Fallout 3/New Vegas hacking system. The premise didn't change between the two versions but they added in the ability to move the cursor around using the arrow keys instead of the mouse. The system in Fallout 3 made me avoid terminals as it was just so clunky trying to find a reset or the "code" to delete a word listed. Just that simple change in Fallout 4 made the system a lot more fun to deal with terminals.

Side note: No idea if this is General or Community board stuff but I thought some might find it interesting and contribute with examples or just expand on the premise.

Magicono43

Re: Simple things

Post by Magicono43 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:53 pm

Ommamar wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:40 pm
when pressed I realized it was simply because in Daggerfall there is a block/parry sound played during combat. I think it is either random or on a set timer (someone who has dug into the scripts could say better).
From what I have seen, it's just a function that plays instead of hit-sounds essentially. Like this parry sound will never play against certain enemies, instead you will hear a "woosh" miss noise. The parry sound is only played when your attempt at a hit misses against specific enemies that "play" the parry sound, such as human enemy classes and orcs, many other are included as well.

I forget if Morrowind even had the "woosh" miss noise, I feel like it did, but I don't believe it had any parry sort of sounds like in Daggerfall.

I'll also put my own opinion in here as well. I think that Daggerfall generally feels like the chances of hitting are higher from the start (at least if you don't make an utterly gimped build) compared to the very start of Morrowind. Tack on the fact that Stamina had a much bigger effect on combat in Morrowind compared to Daggerfall, not sure if accuracy was effected by you current stamina level in Morrowind, but the fact that stamina drained so quickly really made it feel like it during early combat. So yeah, I do feel that Daggerfall always had a better "feeling" attack system compared to Morrowind.