How do weapon skills work?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
KeyOfGeneralUse

How do weapon skills work?

Post by KeyOfGeneralUse »

With Hand-to-Hand it's easy to see the skill's effect, since the actual hth-damage is displayed. Weapons don't have that. All you see is the weapon's damage without factoring in the weapon skill or the racial bonuses from the Races Redone mod or the strength bonus, which is only displayed on the strength attribute. So my two questions are:

1.) How does the weapon skill influence the weapon damage and hit chance and
2.) Does a weapon skill above 100 still increase the damage as it does for the hand-to-hand skill?

Thank you.

ACNAero

Re: How do weapon skills work?

Post by ACNAero »

Weapon skill only affects your chance to hit, the damage is determined by your weapon type, material, and racial/class bonuses. As for how much the toHit formula is affected, weapon skill is the largest factor in your chance to hit something, your skill = the same number in % for the formula. Note: 100 skill = 100% in the formula does not mean you’ll always hit, it’s just one of many factors that gets compared to the opponent’s chance to not be hit.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

ACNAero wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:39 am Weapon skill only affects your chance to hit, the damage is determined by your weapon type, material, and racial/class bonuses. As for how much the toHit formula is affected, weapon skill is the largest factor in your chance to hit something, your skill = the same number in % for the formula. Note: 100 skill = 100% in the formula does not mean you’ll always hit, it’s just one of many factors that gets compared to the opponent’s chance to not be hit.
As ACNAero said here. If you want to see all of the details about how the hit and damage formula work. Look for the "FormulaHelper.cs" script inside your asset folder, or from this github link, all the details are in there. https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... er.cs/#L35

KeyOfGeneralUse

Post by KeyOfGeneralUse »

Magicono43 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:27 pm
ACNAero wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:39 am Weapon skill only affects your chance to hit, the damage is determined by your weapon type, material, and racial/class bonuses. As for how much the toHit formula is affected, weapon skill is the largest factor in your chance to hit something, your skill = the same number in % for the formula. Note: 100 skill = 100% in the formula does not mean you’ll always hit, it’s just one of many factors that gets compared to the opponent’s chance to not be hit.
As ACNAero said here. If you want to see all of the details about how the hit and damage formula work. Look for the "FormulaHelper.cs" script inside your asset folder, or from this github link, all the details are in there. https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... er.cs/#L35
Thank you. I can't comprehend the code however. I have tried to learn programming in school then again in university and from books on my own. I tried and failed. It's a skill I really wish I could acquire but it's just something that's beyond me. :roll:

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

There are a few things that get added to the weapon damage to get the true damage. Here are a couple of formulas:

Damage modifier = (weapon material modifier) + (strength modifier)
To-hit modifier = (weapon skill value) + (weapon material modifier * 10) + ((Agility + Luck) / 10)
(I left out a couple of special race/class-specific modifiers for simplicity's sake)

So to answer your questions:
1) Weapon skill is the biggest contributor to your to-hit but has no effect on your damage. However, if you're using hand-to-hand your damage modifier is (skill / 5) + 1.
2) Nope, that only applies to hand-to-hand.