Automap (exterior) implementation

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Nystul

Re: Automap (exterior) implementation

Post by Nystul »

your points are valid but there are also arguments for staying close to vanilla. Nevertheless there is nothing that prevents a mod for a different map without buttons. I was scared that even the current changes to the map would be too much for some hardcore vanilla fans ;) (and as far as I understood the focus and goal of many of the other devs is to stay pretty close to vanilla)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul, IMO your automap implementation is near perfect for the spec. It strikes the balance between staying true to classic and adding new QoL features that sit within the legacy design. It's really great work.

I agree the zoom can sometimes feel tight on single block towns. But it doesn't always and a quick roll of the mouse wheel gets it where I like it. Maybe the default zoom on small towns could be tuned a bit, but I generally don't mind it the way it is. Maybe I'm just too used to classic with its one-and-only zoom level. :)

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Ok, so every dev likes the nostalgia of scrolling. But that doesn't explain why the zoom levels are resetting after travel or program close. Vanilla doesn't have zoom levels, and none of you zoom out in favor of scrolling. That's making it hard on those of us who prefer to be zoomed out and see more than 4 buildings at once. So... last suggestion, maybe just do an interface setting that (a) makes the zoom setting persist instead of reset and (b) focuses the camera on the center of the map, not the player.

interfset.png
interfset.png (445.6 KiB) Viewed 1237 times

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Next time I have time to work on DFU, I will take a look into it and see how it turns out ;)

for the moment try to use the workaround of mouse and hotkeys commands: Right click the zoom out/level down button or press keyboard key Ctrl + Page Down will fully zoom out ;)

edit: I don't think it is a good idea to overload the interface settings GUI with these options, but an ini file entry will do the trick I think

edit2: I prepared some smaller changes for next version - basically this will let players test a fixed default zoom level (can be set via ini file setting "ExteriorMapDefaultZoomLevel" in the newly introduced "Map" section - values between 4 and 31 will have an effect where larger values mean more zoomed out levels). A further ini file setting "ExteriorMapResetZoomLevelOnNewLocation" can be used to specify if changing location (loading a savegame, fast travel) will result in zoom level reset to default zoom level or not - hope this helps a bit