Automap (exterior) implementation

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Nystul

Re: Automap (exterior) implementation

Post by Nystul »

cool mockup. Rather a mod because it would require completely different menu logics (when game is not paused) - but then we are in similar territories as a map radar almost ;)

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Nystul wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:22 amcool mockup. Rather a mod because it would require completely different menu logics (when game is not paused) - but then we are in similar territories as a map radar almost ;)
Yeah, I was drifting into radar mod territory with that no pause stuff. Speaking of which, a true radar would be 1x and cornered. You also wouldn't be able to show a million labels. But... you would be able to show two: a "line of sight" label that shows what you're staring at. And a "last inquired" label that shows the last label townsfolk added to your map. That would be good enough most of the time.
radar1x.png
radar1x.png (504.13 KiB) Viewed 2000 times

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Definitely belongs in a mod IMO. I knew the modern mini-map would arrive at some point, hopefully not accompanied with a quest compass! urgh, horrible things. :D
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:35 am Definitely belongs in a mod IMO.
Yes. But getting back on track, technical limitations like view distance aren't mod territory. This isn't the right default for a 1600x900 window. And the zoom intervals for the 3d maps aren't appropriate for the 2d ones.

Upon entering Merham Heath to find Lady Bris:
dfr1.png
dfr1.png (92.15 KiB) Viewed 1984 times

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I agree that we could change behavior about this yes, but I did the zooming for smaller locations on purpose in the first place (being close to vanilla df zoomlevel).
I have to admit that I find it sometimes a bit confusing when you arive in tiny locations and the shown map section does not contain any buildings - on the other hand zooming out to a zoom level where a 8x8 block location would fit might be too much for a 1x1 location - and even max zooming out makes nameplates hard to read/assignable to the buildings sometimes.
Maybe we can completely zoom out for smaller locations and half zoom for larger ones - I have to play around with it a bit more.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Nystul wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:21 pmI agree that we could change behavior about this yes, but I did the zooming for smaller locations on purpose in the first place (being close to vanilla df zoomlevel).
I don't notice this variability in vanilla. It all looks 2x, no matter the town. Do you have any screenshots showing this?

This issue feels similar to 3d viewing distance. If we can show the entire map at once, using the same exact scaling as classic (2x), then we should. The buttons were there to scroll the map when the map was larger than the 320x200 window. If the map fits in a modern window, the toolbar does nothing but block map space. So just... show the map. Don't worry about all this scroll and zoom stuff, it only mattered in an ancient resolution. And don't worry about not using gfx, we already do that on a grander scale for the hud and save window. That toolbar was designed for the 3d dungeon viewer, they just slapped it on the 2d viewer and disabled most of them.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Adjusting the initial zoom seems sufficient, I don't see there being a rationale for getting rid of the map controls for exterior maps.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:35 pm Adjusting the initial zoom seems sufficient, I don't see there being a rationale for getting rid of the map controls for exterior maps.
It's like drawing a scrollbar in a browser when there are no pages to scroll. If the resolution is sufficient to show the map, hide the buttons. If it's not sufficient, like 720p or lower, draw them.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:56 pm I don't notice this variability in vanilla. It all looks 2x, no matter the town. Do you have any screenshots showing this?
Well vanilla always zooms in heavily. The exact opposite of what you want. I meant I wanted to achieve similar zoom level as vanilla for small locations

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Nystul wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:33 amWell vanilla always zooms in heavily. The exact opposite of what you want. I meant I wanted to achieve similar zoom level as vanilla for small locations
I don't think vanilla zooms past 2x. Again... the image was bigger than the window they had and they created scroll buttons (and focus on the player's occupied segment). This isn't some gui element that has a designed size relationship to 320x200 and needs to be scaled upward. They were simply hamstrung. And the reason they didn't use 1x was because they wanted text labels.

Things you already do, like expand save slots and inventory slots past what was visible in vanilla, is even more of a deviation that what I'm suggesting. I really dunno why this is an argument.