New to DU, a couple of questions about modding

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
zackxoxo

New to DU, a couple of questions about modding

Post by zackxoxo »

Should I manually install mods or use the NMM? (or a different mod manager)

Is there a list of "must-have" mods for the game. I'm looking at the top all-time list on Nexus but idk if there are any more obscure ones or any compatibility issues I many not be aware of.

Ralzar

Re: New to DU, a couple of questions about modding

Post by Ralzar »

This is the mods I use, so as far as I know, they are compatible. I've made some of them, so I hopefully know :D

Tedious Travel (For realistic traveling. This mod-set doesn't really work without it.)
Archeologist (Adds a guild and makes language skills not useless.)
Roleplay&Realism (Lots and lots of tweaks and improvements to the game))
Roleplay&Realism: Items (Lots and lots of tweaks and improvements to items and loot)
Climates & Calories (Adds heat/cold effects as well as food items and starvation)
Realistic Wagon (Makes horse and wagon in the game act more realistic)
Helmet Swap (Just a small cosmetic mod to make barbarians have horned helmets and archers not.)
Improved Interior Lighting (Makes the houses and dungeons much more atmospheric)
LevelUp Adjuster (Can be used to change what happens when you level up.)
Unleveled Mobs (Changes the spawn tables to not care about your level))
Meaner Monsters (Buffs a lot of the monsters in the game and nerfs a few that are weirdly powerful)
Mountains And Hills (Makes the wilderness have terrain)
Races Redone (Adds a lot more effects to your race selesction)
Start Saver (Makes a save after character creation)
Torch Taker (Allows you to take the torhces from dungeon walls))
Taverns Redone (Makes most taverns MUCH better looking)
VillagerImmersionOverhaul (Makes the towns have much more interesting villagers)
WindmillsOfDaggerfall (Adds windmills. They're a nice addition)
Quest Pack 1 (Adds lots and lots of new quests to the game, making it much less repetetive)
Warm Ashes (Adds random encounters.)

Now, I do not use graphics overhaul mods because I like how Daggerfall looks and you can do a lot with the Advanced settings in Daggerfall Unity. Also, some of these mods add new items and NPCs that will not be graphically updated. Leading to a mix of smooth and pixelated images.

As for what the mod set does: Makes the game harder and more realistic while also improving a lot of mechanics, adding a bunch of QOL changes and makes the game deeper and more, dare I say, immersive.
Now that said, it might not be the best mod set for a first playthrough, as it will be mostly harder. It does fix a LOT of stuff that you will find really weird and stupid in the game though and makes it a richer experience.

Also: This mod list is made with the intention of using Tedious Travel. If you choose to not use Tedious Travel this mod list will probably mostly cause you annoyance.
Last edited by Ralzar on Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

TheLacus

Re: New to DU, a couple of questions about modding

Post by TheLacus »

Hi, welcome to the forums. :)
zackxoxo wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:10 pm Should I manually install mods or use the NMM? (or a different mod manager)
Nexus Mod Manager is no longer updated. You can use Vortex Mod Manager, but unfortunately a few mods don't support it.
zackxoxo wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:10 pm Is there a list of "must-have" mods for the game. I'm looking at the top all-time list on Nexus but idk if there are any more obscure ones or any compatibility issues I many not be aware of.
Nexus and Released Mods are the best places to check.