Any quick tips for someone planning on getting into the game?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
aryankanse6

Any quick tips for someone planning on getting into the game?

Post by aryankanse6 »

Thanks for your help :)

I've been playing the Elder Scrolls games since Oblivion, and really wanted to go back and play some of the older titles, I've already downloaded Daggerfall (and Arena) and wanted to know what are some simple tips that a new player should know.

Ralzar

Re: Any quick tips for someone planning on getting into the game?

Post by Ralzar »

Just copy-pasting what I wrote to a similar question on reddit the other day:

If you have not, use this version of daggerfall: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files
Just download daggerfallsetup.exe. This is the most up to date and stable version of Daggerfall.
Then download Daggerfall Unity and use that to run Daggerfall. This will give the same experience as vanilla (unless you choose to change the settings and add mods) but will save you a lot of technical hassle.

When creating your character, there are three ways to go about it: Choose a prefabricated class. (These go from «okay» to downright terrible) Answer questions to have the game choose a prefab class for you. In the bottom of the class list is "Custom" where you can make your own class. This is what most players considers the only real way to make a character.

For your first character: Just try to build a character you think sounds cool. Most character builds are viable, but some are absolutely more challanging than others. You will probably make a bunch of new characters as you gain more experience with the game. IMPORTANT: When creating a custom class, there is a slider with a dagger indicating Skillup Difficulty. This needs to be at the middle or a bit below. If it's far above the middle you will pretty much never level and the game will start to feel really grindy.

When asked for Reflex Settings. Always choose the highest setting. Seriously, this game is super slow.

For playing, you'll mostly figure it out. Just take it slow. Make sure to retreat and rest when injured. Save a bunch (if you're using Daggerfall Unity, you can quicksave/load with F9/F12).

For the Main Quest: You will get a letter to meet someone in a tavern. Do that as soon as possible. When that's done, you can ignore the MQ if you so choose.
If you want to do MQ: mess around in the Daggerfall region until you're at least level 5 before going to Castle Daggerfall to start searching for npcs with MQ quests. You will recieve letters inviting you to travel to other parts of the game world. Ignore these until MQ stuff dries up in Daggerfall.

Oh yeah, and consider using mods. Lots of mods. Daggerfall is a great foundation for a CRPG, but it's extremely unfinished. Mods help a lot with this.

This is the modlist I use:
viewtopic.php?p=43888#p43888

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Oh yeah, and when you start up DFU, go into the advanced settings. There a loads of improvements there. Personally I would reccommend click-to-attack, retro rendering mode and to change the dungeon, building and player light to much lower. Makes the game much more atmospheric and makes it so using torches or lanters actually have a purpose.

Talyn82

Post by Talyn82 »

I too am new to Daggerfall and find these tips helpful Ralzar.

crocoyes6

Post by crocoyes6 »

If you’re looking for the most advanced gaming experience with the best visuals, you’ll need to buy a PC (you can play games on Apple Macs too, but there are fewer titles available – unless you dual-boot, but we are not going there). Running the latest big budget action games at the absolute peak of their abilities – and ensuring you can do so for two or three more years – will require something in the region of an Intel i7 4790 processor, an Nvidia GTX 980 graphics card and perhaps 16GB of system memory (though 8GB is currently fine for games). It would be best to have a newish Windows install too, although plenty of games support the open source alternative, Linux.

JarekStorm

Post by JarekStorm »

I’ll post an excellent video for you on properly installing Daggerfall, updating to Daggerfall Unity, and adding many of the best mods.

I used this step by step guide and it really helped. Now I am enjoying playing and installing mods for the game, and can easily use both the links in these forums and the Nexus mods site to try out different mods.

Just do it my friend, it’s not difficult to get started, and once you do the game is extremely fun, rewarding, and addictive!

https://youtu.be/Ug0mVLjT0xg

Edit: I realized that you might mean gameplay tips so I’m adding a few things I’ve learned over the last week of playing:
- Sell items 1 at a time to raise Mercantile faster. Each individual sell counts toward skill increases
- make practice spells that only cost 5 Magicka to cast by changing “+1 every 1 level” to “every 2 levels” in spell maker menu
- spamming low level, low magicka versions of spells like invisibility, levitation, water breathing etc will stack the duration. Cast once and they instantly fade, cast 5 times and the duration is extended by x5
- make a teleport anchor at the exit to every dungeon. You can access your wagon there and it’s much easier to leave when done. Remember to recast the anchor every time you teleport back!
- using the inspect mode allows you to identify building quickly from a great distance, good for exploring towns or finding named quest houses
- when asking an NPC about rumors, exiting and restarting the conversation allows you to ask them again and again
- lamps and oil make great light source, can refill oil from wagon, takes 4 oils to completely refill empty lantern
- save a lot! F9 is your friend

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Zaric Zhakaron has made lots of good Daggerfall videos from installing, tips, lore and general gameplay. Highly recommend looking him up on YT.

MarcelSolo

Post by MarcelSolo »

One thing that help me a lot was. Search a small town with all the guilds and temple you are member. And pay attention in some quest targets and your weapon materials. Silver does not work like in Oblivion and Morrowind. Also. Always go to a bank. Gold wheight is heavy in your inventory

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

When you enter a town and want to quickly reveal the buildings the fastest way ive found its just to find NPCs and spam click all the options (taverns, guilds, shops) and youll get most of them. Just look at the dialogue box to see 'map' written.

this makes finding things in towns way faster (thats what its for but i havent heard or seen people doing it)

isabellone

Post by isabellone »

Don't pick a custom made class. And, if you're going to be a magicka user pick Increased Magery as an adventage. Don't forget to buy a recall spell for dungeons are pretty laberynthic and if you get lost it might be the best way to get out of there fast. If this is your first play, roleplay.