Upgrading To Unity 2019.4.2f1 LTS Baseline

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ralzar

Re: Upgrading To Unity 2019.4.2f1 LTS Baseline

Post by Ralzar »

Magicono43 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:51 pm
Ralzar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:48 pm Hm, I see Unity Hub now doesn't offer 2019.4.2F1 LTS, but has switched it out with 2019.4.4f1 LTS.

Should we still go with 2019.4.2F1 LTS?
Is this what you are looking at?: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/lts-releases

I just downloaded the 2019.4.2f1 download assistant from there.
I use the Unity HUB which offers me version of Unity to install. Earlier this month I installed 209.4.2f1 from there, but when I went to reinstall now, it no longer offered that version and had switched it out with 2019.4.4f1 instead. I can still just install the old version from the unity archive no problem. Just wanted to make sure I didn't make any more problems for myself. I have enough of them at the moment :P

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:11 pm BTW, I am genuinely sorry for the hassle guys. I work hard to try and minimize problems and communicate everything clearly. I think I relied too much on some of the community knowledge being "built in" this time around, forgetting how long it has been since the 2018.2 upgrade and how much the modding space has grown. I will remember this and try to communicate better next time.
My only regret is that there's no Linux editor, so someone else is going to have to re-package Unleveled Mobs for me. I've been permanently removed from the modding scene! :lol: But since I'm only good at writing quests, that's wholly irrelevant.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Ralzar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:53 pmI can still just install the old version from the unity archive no problem. Just wanted to make sure I didn't make any more problems for myself. I have enough of them at the moment :P
Archives is perfect. :) You can still add to Hub during install with the Download Assistant. It's the same process as grabbing 2018.2.21f1 up until now.

The key benefit of being on 2019.4 LTS is that it's maintained and will receive bug fixes. DFU will upgrade to a new 2019.4 point release at some time in future (or sooner if there's a compelling bug to fix). Point upgrades are much less of a hassle than a major engine upgrades.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

So I was able to get the Unity 2019.4.2f1 environment installed and working, as well as the 0.10.25 DFU build as mentioned from the tagged releases and that all seems to be working. Tested out one of my more simple mods and it was working fine, rebuilt the .dfmod for Windows and it was all working fine. Tried to rebuild for all versions and got an error from Unity.

Apparently I don't have the module needed to build for Linux, even though I 100% know the check-box was checked for "Linux Build Support" when I installed the latest Unity build. Reinstalled, and still having the unable to build for Linux problem. Not sure if anyone else is having this issue, but I guess i'll forget Linux users for now, at least in my environment...

Here is a screenshot of the error for anyone curious:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (61.78 KiB) Viewed 1721 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This is likely down to the change where StandaloneLinux and StandaloneLinuxUniversal are deprecated in Unity 2019.4 and only StandaloneLinux64 will be supported as a build target moving forwards.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... 3efc205d53

I asked @TheLacus to check my changes here, but something might still need fixing to build Linux mods. I'll ping TheLacus in that change and ask for help. Thanks for letting me know.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Apparently Kamer was able to build for Linux, so hopefully it's not just on my side. Thanks for confirming that I might not be crazy here though :D

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:57 pm
Interkarma wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:11 pm BTW, I am genuinely sorry for the hassle guys. I work hard to try and minimize problems and communicate everything clearly. I think I relied too much on some of the community knowledge being "built in" this time around, forgetting how long it has been since the 2018.2 upgrade and how much the modding space has grown. I will remember this and try to communicate better next time.
My only regret is that there's no Linux editor, so someone else is going to have to re-package Unleveled Mobs for me. I've been permanently removed from the modding scene! :lol: But since I'm only good at writing quests, that's wholly irrelevant.
There is a link to Standalone Linux Installer for 2019.4.0f1 on the Unity forums:

Unity on Linux: Release Notes and Known Issues

I din't test it myself, but you might want to try. 😉

pango

Post by pango »

You can find just any version of the Editor for Linux (as far as I've tested) using the trick described here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1290&start=20#p16063
Just change the version number

I installed Unity Editor 2019.4.2f1 on my system that way.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

So last night I tested and updated my most recent and most simple mod in Unity 2019.4.2f1, with the DFU v0.10.25 and it worked out fine. I did find out some things from this though, this first one might be obvious to some, but not to others. If you update a mod for v0.10.25, that built mod WILL NOT work in earlier version of DFU, and by not working, it won't show up in the mod list at all, so just keep that in mind, I had a question about that on my mod-page.

Besides that probably obvious thing, that particular mod was working fine when updated and running in the DFU v0.10.25 environment. When I started testing the mod I released just before that, which is more complex, I got some problems off the bat, somewhat hard to pin-point problems.

So it's having a similar issue that Ralzar has been having with updating some of his mods, it will work in a "virtual" form when used inside the Unity environment, but when built into a .dfmod package, it will not work, not in the Unity editor, nor in the DFU v0.10.25 compiled build, coming up with this error when the mods try to do their initialization after hitting "start."

Here is the error in my case:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (76.48 KiB) Viewed 1647 times

Now I could be completely wrong here, but I think the reason it's more difficult to debug in this case is because the issues are only happening in "built" versions of the mods, so the only place that can be pointed to when something goes wrong is the mod frame-work, since the mods are currently in a compiled package and are just binary files. But I have no clue if that is true on how it works, just guessing there, but i'm currently trying to figure out how to fix this mod's specific issue.
Last edited by Magicono43 on Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

I just released an update for one of my mods, including Linux version, without issues.

If you can't create a mod for Linux, please run the installer and again and make sure Linux support is selected. If you installed it with Unity Hub, you should see Linux icon inside version box from Installs tab.