Are there two measurements for enemy proximity when resting?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
jimfcarroll

Are there two measurements for enemy proximity when resting?

Post by jimfcarroll »

I'm not sure if this is a bug and I don't recall if this is the right place to post these types of posts so let me know if this is incorrect. I'm on 0.10.25 and I keep getting into this strange loop where I go to the rest menu, it says I can rest so I do "until fully healed" and immediately, with 0 hours rested and no health benefit, it says:

Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (362.69 KiB) Viewed 1120 times

But then I can immediately rest again and I get the menu back as if there's no enemies. It's as if there's one measure of enemy proximity for the initial check, but then a different one for as soon as it goes into rest mode and the second one seems to reach slightly further.

To get out of this loop, I need to save the game and reload. The it lets me rest.

jimfcarroll

Re: Are there two measurements for enemy proximity when resting?

Post by jimfcarroll »

I think I should have posted this (and the other one) in Help and Support. I don't want to cross post and can't seem to delete this one so if someone wants me to post it over there, please let me know.

pango

Post by pango »

Do you have mods installed? Personally I've only seen this problem occur with Wilderness NPCs mod enabled...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jimfcarroll

Post by jimfcarroll »

Yes. And I have that one. That's probably it. Thanks.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

What I think this is, is an enemy spawner still active. Quests and the roaming monster mechanic uses that for spawning enemies.
However, if something is stopping the spawner from spawning a monster, it keeps hanging there while waiting for whatever criterias it has to be reached.
This is probably not checked for when opening the rest window, because it’s not supposed to happen.

Personally I just quicksave then quickload to clear it.

pango

Post by pango »

Yes, Daggerfall Unity "cheats", when an enemy should have spawned it pretends it did then looks for the first opportunity to spawn that enemy nearby, and near the edges of player's field of view. If somehow the enemy cannot be spawned, the game stays stuck in this condition where you can never rest.
I'm surprized pending enemy spawns are not checked before you attempt to rest though.
Ralzar wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:53 am Personally I just quicksave then quickload to clear it.
... on the other hand that means the system can be cheesed; Rest looking in a direction no enemy can spawn, and if your rest is interrupted QuickSave then QuickLoad to clear that "potential enemy" before it spawns...
-- Charles Goodhart

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Typical examples of it happening is if you're resting in a slanting hallway with no nearby rooms. Or if some quest makes enemies spawn while you are resting in a tavern. Sometimes I have to walk around the tavern a few times to make the enemy spawn. Or find a large room and stand in a corner while facing it, so there's enough room behind me.

pango

Post by pango »

I think I must be the last one to have tweaked that code...
I tried to ensure enemies do not spawn closer than minDistance in any case, but that's not without its own set of drawbacks...
-- Charles Goodhart