Is there any way to reduce the draw distance?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Kokey

Is there any way to reduce the draw distance?

Post by Kokey »

Even if not modern by any means, I would love to play with true vanilla (200m or so) or vanilla-like draw distance. I believe that even if it happened because of the restrictions imposed by the hardware of that time, it still plays a part on how daggerfall artstyle presents itself to the player.

I tried setting the Terrain Distance to "1" but it still is too much compared to how it is on DOSBOX. Is there any hidden setting for draw distance?

Jay_H

Re: Is there any way to reduce the draw distance?

Post by Jay_H »

There's a set_weather command you can put into the console. Just use that to set fog everywhere, and that's pretty close :D

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Id like to see the reduced draw distance as well.

We should have the parity with original game where possible. We are almost there with the retro mode rendering, but the draw distance should be addressed as well and Im glad this issue was raised now. Should not be that hard?

My idea is that there is a new setting introduced at the terrain distance scale called smthng like "Original 1996" which would look like old Daggerfall with max distance setting.

Setting the weather to fog is not a solution :) We want short view distance even when the weather is fine, same as in original - that would be great!!!

Kokey

Post by Kokey »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:18 am There's a set_weather command you can put into the console. Just use that to set fog everywhere, and that's pretty close :D
While it kinda emulates the feeling of low draw distance, it isn't the same...

I was also hoping that as added benefit the low draw distance would increase performance with some mods enabled.

If the devs read this, can we get some options for it in the future, pretty please? 🥺 🥺 🥺 As a suggestion, options for: 200m (Vanilla), 500m ("Vanilla Enhanced"), 1000, 2000, etc...

Lokkrin Zhataros

-

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

-
Last edited by Lokkrin Zhataros on Wed May 26, 2021 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

With some aspects the DFU is very religious to stay vanilla, and here we have huge deviation from that.. should not be happening with something as trivial as REDUCED view distance..

Also, the original handdrawn sky looks better with original short view distance.

ivan.lt

Post by ivan.lt »

I second everything said above, reduced draw distance would be awesome.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I never thought I'd see players asking for reduced draw distance and more fog in a game. :)

I have no plans to implement such a change at this time (maybe a good stretch goal for beta). It's trivial to mod in though. I'm surprised nobody has done this already if was something people actually wanted.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:18 am I never thought I'd see players asking for reduced draw distance and more fog in a game. :)

I have no plans to implement such a change at this time (maybe a good stretch goal for beta). It's trivial to mod in though. I'm surprised nobody has done this already if was something people actually wanted.
I respect your opinion but its a surprising one 😊 I felt like the parity with original was your focus, so adding one option to the view distance slider (classic -1 - 2 - 3 - 4) would be something you would be up to. To me modding terrirory was always about the changes diverting from original, in this case it would be about modding in a classic feature. Thats why Im surprised. Anyway, I can live with it 😉

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Like I said, maybe a good stretch goal for beta. :) If more people start asking for it, the change will get more priority.

Right now, my focus is on wrapping up the unfilled items on roadmap and rolling into beta before Christmas. Then I plan to take a break and start attacking bugs from late January or so as part of the ramp to 1.0.