QOL: Improving Tutorial timing?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
jayhova

Re: QOL: Improving Tutorial timing?

Post by jayhova »

The tutorial is one of those things that really needs to be replaced with something better. Real-time clock, location flags, distance traveled, actions taken, enemies fought/killed, health/mana low, etc. All these are things that could/should be added to the quest system. Also placeholders for keys mapped in non-default ways.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:43 pm But, simply looking at the timers, I'm thinking they could all be at least halved. Most people follow along for a few pages, then run into the rat before they're meant to, kill the rat, go up the stairs, fight the bat, either miss the imp, kill it or run away, then get the message to go into the first room and fight the rat.
Having watched a couple of newbies start the game I was reminded of this discussion. This is still a serious entry level problem for just about every player who does not have an experienced Daggerfall player to help out.
Making a new tutorial etc would of course be great but just making the timers not be so extremely long would help new players a lot.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The Actions Framework mod adds the ability to do quest actions based on distance from an item or a monster. That'd at least give us some consistency on when you approach the rat.

If we can add such capability to DFU later on, it'd give more options here.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

IMHO there needs to at least be an "official" mod built into Daggerfall. As has been pointed out, the current tutorial makes DFU look buggy and broken. It seems like most of the tutorial quest could be fixed with location flags. This has been very low on the priority list because everyone here is an advanced player who no longer thinks about the tutorial and maybe hasn't in decades. For the newbie a broken tutorial means having to go al the way through character creation again.

The tutorial was not a huge deal for me because I read the paper manual and had played Arena I. This is unlikely to be true for today's player.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.