How much easier does Daggerfall Unity make dungeon navigation

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Sanjay852

How much easier does Daggerfall Unity make dungeon navigation

Post by Sanjay852 »

I like Daggerfall but one thing that turns me off from the game are the Labyrinth dungeons which are really hard to navigate and all look the same

Are there any mods that make navigation easier?
Last edited by Sanjay852 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralzar

Re: How much easier does Daggerfall Unity make dungeon navigation

Post by Ralzar »

Well, first of all, it's possible to edit the .ini file to activate smaller dungeons. Which makes all the random sungeons (meaning no Main Quest dungeons) smaller.

Other than that, DFU has better controls for the minimap. But to improve it even more, take a look at this: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/112

pango

Post by pango »

Daggerfall dungeons are hard to navigate, full stop. I fact, you so often find yourself in places where you need to take the left passage to go right, or down to go up, that it's obvious that finding 3d tricks that couldn't be pulled off with a non fully 3d map was part of their design.
Main quest dungeons are also good at luring you into dead ends, because they're made of modules that match the standard pattern of two paths on each of their sides then removed some redundant paths so there's only few of only one route going to the quest target.

If you have a hard time finding your way into 3d labyrinths, as Ralzar suggested SmallerDungeons settings can help you for all the random dungeons (main quests dungeons are unaffected by this setting); At least you'll be facing only one dungeon module at a time.
Ralzar wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:53 am Other than that, DFU has better controls for the minimap. But to improve it even more, take a look at this: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/112
I don't think fully opaque maps are more readable, gradient give some info that is lost will full opacity.
So YMMV.

I prefer to play with transparency level (move mouse up/down while pressing mouse wheel button) and transparency mode (F2/F3/F4) on a case-by-case basis to understand my surroundings. I seldom use that, but one can remove the marble background texture with F6, which can help readability.
Don't be afraid to rotate the map with right-click drag to find the best angles. Double-right click to change pivotal point when you're inspecting dungeon far from your current position. Double-click to put notes in places of interest.
The automap has a lot to offer, just take some time to explore its possibilities...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

There's also that Archaeologists Guild mod that adds that quest track device to find your objective in dungeons easier.

pango

Post by pango »

frankgale1 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:02 pm Anyway, you can always save and reload then press ALT+F11 to send you back to the dungeon entrance.
That's a tip for classic Daggerfall only, Daggerfall Unity doesn't emulate that.
(and equivalent in DFU is to open the console and type "tele2exit").
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart