DFU default settings emulate vanilla Daggerfall?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ralzar

DFU default settings emulate vanilla Daggerfall?

Post by Ralzar »

So I keep seeing streamers play DFU for the first time, more or less unmodded, and it's quite common for the game to look weird because they have some kind of wonky set of settings.
What is DFUs default settings? And are those the settings that best emulate original Daggerfall? With the addition of new settings like plettization, what is "best" might have changed? It might just be that players have gone in and done stuff with the settings to mess it up, but I'm not sure.
Maybe it would be an idea to make sure the default settings is actually the best combination of settings? And possibly have some way to just let the DFU launcher set "true Daggerfall" for you?

TheLacus

Re: DFU default settings emulate vanilla Daggerfall?

Post by TheLacus »

You can simply reset settings to see default values. Make a backup of your ini file if you really want.
You can also see default values here.

pango

Re: DFU default settings emulate vanilla Daggerfall?

Post by pango »

Ralzar wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:17 am So I keep seeing streamers play DFU for the first time, more or less unmodded, and it's quite common for the game to look weird because they have some kind of wonky set of settings.
What is DFUs default settings? And are those the settings that best emulate original Daggerfall?
It's really the result of some consensus among core developers; So it usually matches classic behavior, but some new features (improved AI, enemies infighting, etc.) can be enabled by default if they're generally seen as an improvement/modernization...

(can you provide examples of wonkiness, because otherwise I'm not sure we'll all discuss of the same issue(s)?)
Ralzar wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:17 am With the addition of new settings like palettization, what is "best" might have changed?
What's best stays up to developers consensus.
Personally, even if I've been at the origin of that feature, I think the fact it better matches classic look is not a good enough argument to enable it by default.
Different players will want to play Daggerfall Unity differently, some plain, others with cosmetic mods, others with gameplay mods, others to match classic Daggerfall as closely as possible, etc.
I have the feeling that palettization and lowered resolution is only a hardcore minority taste (and that's what streams seem to confirm), and that all others will have to know that the feature is enabled by default and go disable it; And that those that don't know could make wrong assumptions about Daggerfall Unity possibilities (that say, a similar problem already exist: many classic players assume that Daggerfall Unity looks like some modded Daggerfall Unity they're seen in videos or streams; so you can't avoid misinterpretations in any case).
Ralzar wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:17 am It might just be that players have gone in and done stuff with the settings to mess it up, but I'm not sure.
They're some obvious pitfalls, like using another Main filter than "Point", with classic textures, which makes everything blurry.
Some players almost automatically enable filtering, must be "best" because it's a feature of their videocard (that's almost not a troll; let's say they don't fully understand what that setting implies).
I'm also partial against "Alternate Random Enemies Selection", which I think is currently flawed, and best left disabled.
We can try to better document what each setting does, so that players can make even better informed choices, or remove choices that are known way to shoot oneself in the foot (like UseLegacyDeferred), but the latter are rare.
Ralzar wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:17 am Maybe it would be an idea to make sure the default settings is actually the best combination of settings?
That's already the case based on developers consensus, but define "best combinaison of settings" that will satisfy everybody, that probably doesn't exist.
Ralzar wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:17 am And possibly have some way to just let the DFU launcher set "true Daggerfall" for you?
Better yet, and this is something we already briefly discussed with Hazelnut, it would be great if DFU could come with presets (or import presets). Because again there's no single best set of settings.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart