DFU Movement Review - Walking/Running/Jumping/Falling

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Orbarth

Re: DFU Movement Review - Walking/Running/Jumping/Falling

Post by Orbarth »

Too bad Daggerfall never had a "Riding" skill that could influence horses speed/jump.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm open to horses being able to jump a fixed height (not coupled with player skill) - and perhaps be able to clear some low obstacles the player cannot easily jump over, like those hedges.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Sounds like the best solution.

pango

Post by pango »

Yup, I like the idea too.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

pango wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:28 pm I found a new reliable way to get thru them: climb the wall to the top then, without releasing forward key, press the crouch key and you'll "fall" thru the window.
Just saw TalonHatesNames do Painting of Wayrest for the first time with 0.11.0 (he was using 0.10.27 before), and he had no issue going thru that window (both times).
I think what he did was jumping, then crouch in the air before he reached the window? In any case I managed to get thru the window that way, but it may depend more on jumping skill level, I'm not sure.
King of Worms wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:36 am Honestly, as long as you can get thru it, Im ok :)
Agreed, players seem to find ways. And at least in DFU they don't clip into the Void ;)
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Interkarma wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:08 pm I'm open to horses being able to jump a fixed height (not coupled with player skill) - and perhaps be able to clear some low obstacles the player cannot easily jump over, like those hedges.
Yep that would be good. I just smacked into a fence jumping for the first time in o.11.0 :D

Maybe still have it relate to player skill, but with a minimum so horses can always clear fences & hedges?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

I submitted a PR (minimalistic approach: constant jump height when on horse).
-- Charles Goodhart

Shalval

Post by Shalval »

pango wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:19 am Just saw TalonHatesNames do Painting of Wayrest for the first time with 0.11.0 (he was using 0.10.27 before), and he had no issue going thru that window (both times).
I think what he did was jumping, then crouch in the air before he reached the window? In any case I managed to get thru the window that way, but it may depend more on jumping skill level, I'm not sure.
This is what I did in my recent Lord K'avar (mis)adventures on 0.11.0 as well. But it was after I gave up using other methods and gave up trying to find another way in. It was an epiphany born out of old Half Life muscle memory maybe... and I wasn't sure it was intended when I managed to get through by crouching in the air.

On the other hand, in hindsight this is a sequence of moves that makes sense. It's just strange that it's so hard to get through by other means.

pango

Post by pango »

Somebody on Twitter questioned weapon attack speed, feeling too slow compared to classic. I haven't seen anything about combat speed in this thread (and nothing on that specific topic elsewhere), am I right to suppose that this will be the subject of another round of tweaking?
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

All combat speed timings are matched to classic by Allofich. Most likely that person created a character with low SPD and is comparing it with old memories of differently-specced or higher-level characters.

The main factors at play here are:
  1. SPD of character - lower SPD equals slower movement and attack speed.
  2. Reflex setting - higher reflex settings make monsters move and attack faster (it's basically a difficulty setting).
  3. Enemy AI - Enabled by default, enhanced AI enemies will strafe player, step in and out of range, and generally maker for a tougher fight. Disabling enhanced AI will revert enemies back to their more classic stand-and-fight counterparts.
  4. Input configuration for mouse gesture attack could be a factor too.
There are no further changes intended here. As a general rule, I ignore random opinions lacking any hard information. Everyone has different memories and feelings about Daggerfall's timings. Even the platform they played on (486, Pentium, DosBox) will lead to variant memories of gameplay feel.

The subject of this topic is Walking/Running/Jumping/Falling, and all of these points have been addressed to my satisfaction. I'll close this topic now and start a new feedback topic instead. Link below to continue discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5065