How far is Daggerfall Unity from fully releasing?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
David31

How far is Daggerfall Unity from fully releasing?

Post by David31 »

I know it’s pretty close to being done, but is there any idea of when it will be complete? I kind of want to wait for the final version before starting the game, but if there’s still a ways to go, I might not bother.

192.168.8.1 jiofi.local.html http://router-network.onl
Last edited by David31 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Re: How far is Daggerfall Unity from fully releasing?

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums David31!

Short answer is "when it's ready", aka when Interkarma feels it's worth bearing the name of "1.0" release.
Most likely this year, as the list of bug fixes and small improvements shrinks...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

Basically what pango said. I'll also add that if you want the full Daggerfall experience then that's already finished. According to the roadmap all that's left is bugs, lighting improvements, modding system improvements, and localization system improvements.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Just to expand on the replies above, it might help to think of Daggerfall Unity as a project in two parts.

The first part is to recreate classic Daggerfall from the ground up with many small refinements and QoL features. This has essentially been complete since 2019. You can play through the entire classic game using Daggerfall Unity. We have some minor bugs that need fixing, but nothing that should bring the whole game to a halt (outside of the usual Daggerfall stuff like failing a critical/timed quest). If anything, DFU has fewer problems than classic.

The second part is to add powerful mod capabilities and keep growing Daggerfall Unity as a modding platform. Other than ongoing bug fixes, this is mainly what we're working on now. When I'm finally happy with the overall state of game, I'll stamp it with 1.0.

It's up to you if you decide to play now or later, there's no right or wrong choice. But if you're worried about missing something in classic, then please don't. The whole game is finished insofar the classic recreation goes.

Good luck! :)

Shalval

Post by Shalval »

I can confirm as a player that at the current state of the project, it is pretty much playing classic DF, except infinitely better with QoL features and great default visuals (if you have ever experienced classic's view distance, that alone seals the deal). And yes, you never dungeon crawl with the fear of gliding into the void when climbing a slope like in classic :lol:

The only advice I would give is to check quest selection in the optional enhancements, so that you can avoid any quest that plays badly. Open a Chest in Mages Guild and Lord K'avar in Fighters Guild were the only egregious ones for me so far, and I have been sweeping through every guilds' content (bar the Dark Brotherhood) around 5th rank :)

Mad-Eye

Post by Mad-Eye »

I played a fair amount of classic Daggerfall (although I never got anywhere with the MQ) and I agree with everyone here. Daggerfall Unity so far is a far better experience than classic, and of the things I have tried in both games, all of them work as well or better with the current release of the project.

My one piece of advice: if you fall through the terrain (as I did once) don't mistake the quicksave and quickload keys. I had to redo half a dungeon after that because I didn't save when I reached the exit.

Shalval

Post by Shalval »

Having just finished the Main Quest, I can confirm it was perfectly completable :)

The only (optional) quest I recommend doing without is the Elysana Betrayal one because it was jank city (events were still triggering way after I was done and I'd get free money out of nowhere on a counter). But to be fair, one of the bugs I encountered is a documented classic one, so there is that. Hopefully they were documented already because I was really tired at that point and just assumed it was all known and moved on :oops:

I fell through the floor when teleporting to a building a few times but that was rare enough. Still, I recommend saving before teleporting. I never ever went through the floor otherwise. Maybe some people's issues with that is tied to framerate? I remember Unity3D used to have its collision checks tied to the framerate but I do not know if it holds still. This was something the devs could tweak on their games to have a bit of leeway.