Question regarding races

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Pyregazer

Question regarding races

Post by Pyregazer »

First time posting, so I want to thank all the code monkeys that have brought this game back to life. I really appreciate it.

I am sorry if this has been already asked, first off. It can be hard to find info on what works and what doesn't in daggerfall.

I was wondering if the all of the races special advantages actually work as described on the wiki. An example would be the wood elf. It states on the wiki "Bonus Damage and Chance To Hit for Archery = Level / 3", but dark elf and redguard have similar bonuses. I guess my question is does level mean char level or skill level and does the dark elf and redguard bonuses only apply to melee?

*Just thought of a couple more...Does backstab work for archery?...Does critical strike do extra damage or just better chance to hit?

Magicono43

Re: Question regarding races

Post by Magicono43 »

The racials do work yes, the level part refers to the level of the player, not any specific skill. The dark elf and redguard bonuses apply to all weapons, both ranged and melee. I'll answer the follow-up question as well, no they are not balanced and never were, but min-maxing is no fun in this game anyway if you ask me, lol.

Pyregazer

Post by Pyregazer »

Thanks for that, it's just good to know. I wasn't trying to min/max and do agree doing that in this game isn't ideal for long plays. Was just curious is all. I knew the para immune worked for the high elf, but wasn't sure of the others.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Pyregazer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:25 am Thanks for that, it's just good to know. I wasn't trying to min/max and do agree doing that in this game isn't ideal for long plays. Was just curious is all. I knew the para immune worked for the high elf, but wasn't sure of the others.
Yeah, generally the racials are pretty lame in vanilla Daggerfall compared to later games. There is a mod called "Races Redone" if i'm not mistaken that gives much more effect to the current racials, if you are interested in mods of course.

Pyregazer

Post by Pyregazer »

I've looked at that one. It's interesting, but it seems pretty extreme on the attribute modifiers and prolly the reason they didn't implement it.

Shalval

Post by Shalval »

The Daggerfall Chronicles guide also lists racial stats akin to all the other games (thus a thing since Arena), but as far as I know it didn't actually apply in classic and in practice you had the same stats for every race.

I didn't check if DFU corrected that behavior but it didn't seem like my base stats were particularly affected by using a Dark Elf here, unlike in say, Arena or Morrowind.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Pyregazer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:34 am I've looked at that one. It's interesting, but it seems pretty extreme on the attribute modifiers and prolly the reason they didn't implement it.
I dunno, the mod just shuffles 30 points around. Doesn’t seem too extreme. I’ve been thinking of increasing the effect since it’s so weak ingame.