Daggerfall Unity surpasses 500k downloads on nexus mods!

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Baler

Daggerfall Unity surpasses 500k downloads on nexus mods!

Post by Baler »

Mods for Daggerfall Unity have been downloaded more than 500,000 times on nexus mods!

This is an amazing feat given the short time nexus has been the place to host DFU Mods.
It also demonstrates there is a huge demand for Daggerfall Unity Mods!

A round of applause for Mod creators past, present and future! Here is to shooting for 1million downloads!!!

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
Daggerfall Unity is in the top 100 most downloaded and is quickly rising!

Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall Unity surpasses 500k downloads on nexus mods!

Post by Interkarma »

Wow, that's quite an incredible milestone for such a niche game and modding community. Kudos to to everyone creating mods for DFU!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for the heads up, I saw it on twitter. Really great achievement! I think we are gaining traction and heading even higher :) I think we will get to top 50 (1st page basically) ... thats over 2mil downloads to get there currently.

Now, thinking of which... I think we should think about the change of the thumbnail to something more representative and descriptive.

When you look at the top 3 lines, in most cases you can tell what game is represented in the thumb. If we could get something with a similar strength, it would be cool. Some image "everybody" knows.. or at least with a possibility for such a traction in a future.
top 3 lines.jpg
top 3 lines.jpg (432.43 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

Currently we have this thumbnail
, I think we can get it better.
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (622.57 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
Im personally not sure what that image might be, but my 1st choice would be a standard Daggerfall graphics from 90s like this:
https://playclassic.games/games/role-pl ... ll-online/

Just a idea.. if the need arises, I can provide this image in high quality PNG. If the decision is made for another image, or keeping the old one, Im ok with that either.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I actually have no idea how to change that icon. I think Nexus set all this up as part of adding DFU support (I wasn't directly involved). I can probably hit them up on twitter or something though.

It's weirdly fascinating to see DFU mods sitting right smack in the middle of all those huge games.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Haha right, they most likely set that img at the opening of the Dfu section, when the project was almost meaningless to them. Now we deserve better πŸ˜‰

Yes its a bit surreal to see DFU next to GTA5, Borderlands 3 etc πŸ‘

Im sure its because DFU has huge modding capabilities, its a great game with extremely strong TES brand behind it (Skyrim is top of list) and Bethesda brand (top 6)..

I believe we get to 1st page (over 2mil DLs) very soon... 😊 when 1.0 is released it will cause another hype as well

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

DFU feels like its pulling ahead on its own now. I'm grateful every day for the community here filled with so many talented people. It wouldn't be nearly as much fun without you all. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

There was a spoken interview with you I cant find anymore, it was quite early in the development and you said you hope more ppl will join you in the future, accelerating the progress :) Id like to hear that again after the those years.

Anyway, here is the - I believe - best quality of the Daggerfall 1996 box cover. It was released as a 2 page poster in one czech journal back in the days. I got a high res scan of it from the internet, removed the seam between the 2 pages, removed the dust and scratches and run it thru AI sharpening and saved in 2000 x 2717px PNG. Its saved in my MEGA storage account. I dont try to push it, just if the decision is made to use this type of image, this one might be of a consideration. On the other hand - none of the thumbnails of the other games have a name in that image, so I guess they have some rules about that as well..

https://mega.nz/file/vjJ3BSba#5vXUTQ15A ... 9Pl7RzF7A8

EDIT: just made a quick test version without any text, it would look like this. Off to sleep :D
Spoiler!
010.jpg
010.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 1394 times
a.jpg
a.jpg (623.7 KiB) Viewed 1394 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

King of Worms wrote: ↑Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:22 pm There was a spoken interview with you I cant find anymore, it was quite early in the development and you said you hope more ppl will join you in the future, accelerating the progress :) Id like to hear that again after the those years.
I managed to dig this up for you. I couldn't find the original stream with video, but I did find the audio part.

https://podbay.fm/p/elder-scrolls-off-t ... 1446705528

This was really early days before almost anything in the game was up and working. They were playing classic DF while chatting. I'd just come back from PAXAUS 2015 with a cold and was still pretty sick during stream. I think it was also a really weird early time of day so I could overlap with US.

I didn't hate the experience, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I felt really self conscious about my accent and I'm not great with chitchat kind of stuff (even less so when I'm sick and tired). I've since turned down any future offers to appear on streams, etc. I just don't feel comfortable with it for the most part.

King of Worms wrote: ↑Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:22 pm Anyway, here is the - I believe - best quality of the Daggerfall 1996 box cover
Looks great! I've pinged Nexus on Twitter and see what they have to say about changing the art.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for the interview, I never had any idea you felt bad during that, dont worry about that, I loved that interview a lot.
"How you doing Gavin? Yeahhh.... really well" - gets a new perspective now :D

Thanks for contacting the Nexus staff, saw it at twitter.

pango

Post by pango »

I was a bit skeptical that it would fit, but now I must admit that it's looking good.
And other icons with similar design (dark, red outlines,...) are mostly dungeon crawlers, that's probably no coincidence ;)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart