Magic Icons - Any Progress?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Braggi

Magic Icons - Any Progress?

Post by Braggi »

Thanks for taking a moment to read this one folks. Hope I'm not unintentionally joggling anyone's elbow. Here goes...

I did some very minor google-fu today on the subject of spell icons for DF Unity and came across the January 2019 Build post mentioning them. I also ran across the "[MOD] Buff/Debuff Icons" thread in the Modder Discussion portion of the board as well.

One thing I did pick up was that there had been some work done to allow icons to be assigned based on the game's metadata, but that it was not completed/implemented beyond the ability to choose a custom icon in the spell book. (Beautiful feature btw and thank you.) So, that brings me to my question: Is the work mentioned in the January 2019 build something that will be implemented eventually or has it been set aside? I ask because I have been working on some personal custom spell effect icons which I'd love to be able to have the game use as the defaults for spells, potions and so forth.

That's basically it. Feel free to relocate this post if there's a better spot for it. Oh, and a belated happy Beta to one and all. :D

pango

Re: Magic Icons - Any Progress?

Post by pango »

Hi,

I think it's still in the same state, namely custom icon choices are saved in the spellbook; Hence you can't change the icons of standard spells if you didn't buy them, or something like that.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Braggi

Post by Braggi »

OK, that's about what I figured. I know the current effort is towards squashing bugs in the existing code, so I didn't want to be too intrusive in my questioning. DF Unity is a dream come true as is!

Thanks for the reply Pango - much appreciated.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Braggi!

Yeah, this is on the backburner for a while until it ferments some more.

My initial idea was to allow modders to set an XML file or similar to define a "preferred icon" for an effect. This is mainly for enchanted items which don't allow user to change icon. I did have a play with this way back and it didn't feel satisfying to me, especially on Items with multiple effects.

The other concept is just add a way to set icon for enchanted items and present user with same selection as spellbook. This seems the simplest and most direct way of allowing user to select whichever icon best fits their headcanon for that spell/item.

But I'm not sure how to rig up icon selection in a reasonable way. Maybe a double-click on spell icon on HUD should open the icon selection window? Suggestions are welcome. :)

Braggi

Post by Braggi »

Hi Interkarma. Thanks for the reply. :)

I have to admit, I do like the idea of setting a default icon for a base spell effect universally throughout the game. I saw the lines reading "suggestedeffects": null in the text files for the various custom icon sets (VMBlast, Dream) and went "Yippie..! Erm... now, how does this work, persactly?" :D

However, I can see your problem when it comes to multiple spell effects. For myself, when setting a custom icon for circinate spells like Wizard Rend or Force Bolt, I pick an icon that represents the damage aspect of the spell, since you don't usually cast something that combines paralyze and damage unless you intend to kill a target creature, as opposed to just rendering it harmless for a getaway with Medusa's Gaze or Paralysis. However, that logic tends to fall by the wayside when you get into custom multiple effect spells created in the Spellmaker.

Now, as far as your second idea and a reasonable way to set the icon selection, iirc the actual use of the powers\effects of magical items, potions and so forth are invoked via either the "Use" button in your inventory or the appropriate hot key when in normal adventuring view. So, why not have it that you just single left click, double left click or single right click on the actual item in inventory to bring up the icon selection dialogue? Or am I missing something there...?

Either way, I'm content to wait until the mental fermentation process hits a better place. It's a side feature when compared to the downright incredible stuff we can already do with DF Unity as it is... and modders keep pushing the envelope back, so I certainly have no complaints. We've come a long, long way from the DOS/Win95 DF days, that's for sure.