A timescale of 1 isn't realistic in Daggerfall 49 is

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Jarlyjarljarl

A timescale of 1 isn't realistic in Daggerfall 49 is

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

The game world is definitely not 1:1 despite what people say. You would not have so many different climates, kingdoms and cities within the size of an area the size of Great Britain.

The world of Daggerfall is more akin to Europe + North Africa combined, which is 49x larger than Great Britain not counting oceans.

As such, a realistic timescale for Daggerfall if one wanted to reflect this would be 49, not 1.

pango

Re: A timescale of 1 isn't realistic in Daggerfall 49 is

Post by pango »

That's an interesting point, but I assume you meant scale rather than timescale (that was confusing at first)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

pango wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:14 am That's an interesting point, but I assume you meant scale rather than timescale (that was confusing at first)
No, I'm pretty sure he meant timescale, probably inspired by the other thread about timescale. Running a timescale of 49 in real-time will probably produce shadows that move constantly because the sun travel become visible at those speeds and in a first person view, that always feels off to me. Games where that stuff does work have a different perspective most of the time.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

pango

Post by pango »

Well timescale is not difficult to quantify, it's 1:12 by default (a game day happens in 2 real time hours, if you're not resting, loitering, or fast traveling). And I suppose that much is intuitive to most players.

The fact that Daggerfall world, while large like a country which is usually quoted as impressive, is actually inspired by Europe, North Africa and a bit of Middle East, and has such means that it's still a scale down, is both totally logical and provocative. I don't remember anybody mentioning that before.
Since you're traveling around, I guess it makes sense to scale both, at least loosely. Time/distance between towns must feel "right" because that's something that players can somehow relate to, but you have a lot more freedom for world scale.
Even so, Daggerfall world feels huge, and as such fulfills creators' intentions.
I'm not sure what else to think of this, except maybe that the real world is f. massive ;)
-- Charles Goodhart

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

pango wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:02 pm I'm not sure what else to think of this, except maybe that the real world is f. massive ;)
And then, just for the sake of it, think about how big space is.

pango

Post by pango »

Haha, Indeed!
-- Charles Goodhart

zimmicks

Post by zimmicks »

The land area of Daggerfall is about 62,000 square miles, which is slightly smaller than Florida.
The Devs must have known this, but for some reason, they didn't think "land area the size of Florida" sounded big enough for 1996 lol. So they inflated the size to Great Britain (which is 93,000 square miles), which definitely sounds more epic. They banked on the fact that nobody would really know the true land area until years and years had passed (which was true).