Unity 2019.4.28f1 Point Upgrade + Linear Lighting & Lighting Review

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Re: Unity 2019.4.25f1 Point Upgrade + Linear Lighting & Lighting Review

Post by Interkarma »

Hey KoW. :)

All future releases will be on the Releases page. You'll see a tag when something is a pre-release and I'll make a comment in the associated notes. Pre-releases are still publicly available, just tagged differently to stable builds. You'll know it when you see it!

I'll continue posting update alerts to the Forums, Twitter, and Reddit as usual. The devblog will go back to posting stories about development process, rather than just being another feed for patch notes.

Here's my rough plan for next several releases:
  • [*] 0.11.5 (stable) - All changes submitted prior to code freeze. I'm planning to drop this next week. Note there is now a hotfix to 0.11.7, which is the final 0.11 stable build.
    [*] 0.12.0 (pre-release) - Engine upgrade to latest Unity 2019.4 LTS. This will be functionally the same as 0.11.5 with only the changes required for engine upgrade.
  • 0.12.1 (stable) - Priority bug fix release and general engine update test now that modders have experienced no problems with engine update.
  • 0.12.2 (pre-release) - Enable linear lighting and start work on core material and lighting review. More details on this in first post above.
  • 0.12.3 (pre-release) - Fix lighting issues based on feedback. Modders should try to get everything working and looking good on this version as we go back to stable builds next.
  • 0.12.4 (stable) - Basically everything from 0.12.0 to 0.12.2 ready for general play. I want to get to this point by around late August to early September.
  • 0.12.5 onwards (stable) - Reserved in case more fixes needed to get a good stable 0.12.x.
Once 0.12 is stable, I'll bump version to 0.13.0 for final bug-fix stage and getting Localization as advanced as possible before 1.0. Even then, Localization is likely to still be considered in Preview and work will continue on this post 1.0 until I've done as much with it as I can. Bug fix will also continue into 1.0 and beyond, just like any other game. But I will try to fix as much as possible before 1.0. DFU is already quite stable overall, just need to keep it that way while closing out more bugs.

If all goes well, we'll reach 1.0 in the dwindling days of 2021. But I won't hesitate to delay until early 2022 if I don't feel the stability is there.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi Interkarma,

thanks a lot for this update and detailed explanation, looking forward the progress! Now if the AAA companies had your attitude towards quality... wishful thinking. You and the team are doing awesome job, thank you 😊

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The 0.12.0 engine update pre-release is now tagged and has builds available for download. These builds are identical to 0.11.7 with only the engine update applied. These builds are primarily for modders to test with and rebuild their mods if needed.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... .12.0-beta

Anyone working with source project should now update to Unity 2019.4.28f1.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

FYI I've tested all my mods with latest codebase, and also the build release 0.12.0 and they are all working fine as far as I can tell. I didn't even need to rebuild the dfmod packages.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you Hazelnut! Hopefully the other mod creators have a similar experience.

Everyone - I'm going to drop a round of 0.12 builds in next few days to fix an issue with starting main quest. Then I'll get back to lighting changes.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Did a bunch of testing now with my mods. Everything seems to work fine so far. At least it works in live and in editor it does not spit out any errors. No reason to even re-build the mods it seems.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

DREAM and the whole set of mods Im using is working with 0.12 Did not even have to rebuild. So it seems quite compatible with the previous versions so far :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you everyone. I'm happy to hear this point update doesn't seem to break anything yet. It gives me some confidence to move forwards.

I'm going to drop 0.12.1 builds with a few fixes this week, including the one for MQ not starting properly. This won't be marked as pre-release. It won't contain any changes to lighting yet, I need to rework the above list.

I'll reschedule the lighting changes for 0.12.2 (which will be a pre-release).

pango

Post by pango »

Git-versioned addressables to not work under Linux out-of-the-box, launcher is fine then loading screen lacks some labels; And if you still select a game to load, you're stuck on "Please wait" message.
Capture d’écran du 2021-08-10 10-44-15.png
Capture d’écran du 2021-08-10 10-44-15.png (36.34 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
I tried different things using the Addressables Groups tab, nothing worked. Only thing I managed to do is clearing versioned addressables and get worse results.

How to rebuild all addressables?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Pango, can you please try deleting your local clone of project then cloning fresh?

Let me know if that doesn't help and I'll do what I can to help. I'll be offline soon for the evening, but will pick up again in the morning when I can.