Unity 2019.4.28f1 Point Upgrade + Linear Lighting & Lighting Review

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
pango

Re: Unity 2019.4.25f1 Point Upgrade + Linear Lighting & Lighting Review

Post by pango »

New repository clone, open, built and run in UE 2019.4.28f1: seems to work fine, ah!

But if I build it with a Makefile that basically does

Code: Select all

$(unitydir)/Editor/Unity -quit -batchmode -logFile stdout.log -buildTarget Linux64 -buildLinux64Player "build/$(name).x86_64"
then I get "LocaleText-NotFound" messages everywhere in the player. The project still look fine in the Editor.
I'm not sure what I broke before, there must be state... somewhere...

But since that's the way I build DFU in my workflow, I still need to find a solution.
So far I've tried to create an Assets/Editor/MyEditorScript.cs:

using UnityEditor;
class MyEditorScript
{
     static void PerformBuild ()
     {
         AddressableAssetSettings.BuildPlayerContent();
     }
}
and add -executeMethod MyEditorScript.PerformBuild to the build command line, but no change, LocaleText-NotFound...
But if addressables aren't modified too often, even a way to manually trigger the creation of player's addressables would be a start; Haven't found how to do that in 2019.4.28 yet.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

Okay, I managed to automate the rebuild of addressables by copying https://gist.github.com/favoyang/cd2cf2 ... 610c604c51 as Assets/Editor/BuildAddressables.cs then adding

...  -executeMethod BuildAddressablesProcessor.PreExport
at the end of build command.

Something is still broken with by old checkout, but I guess I'll just trash it...
-- Charles Goodhart

Kab the Bird Ranger

Post by Kab the Bird Ranger »

Warning to devs upgrading to 2019.4.28f: precompiled mods made from 2019.4.28f don't seem to work with DFU 0.11

If you rely on precompilation, and want your mod accessible to users still on 0.11, you should stay on 2019.4.17f
I haven't tried non-precompiled mods honestly, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I noticed this too. My mod won't show up on previous builds once compiled for 12.0 beta. I'm just going to require my users to update myself, as they should be doing it anyways.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

pango

Re: Unity 2019.4.28f1 Point Upgrade + Linear Lighting & Lighting Review

Post by pango »

Should the PostProcessing stack embedded under Assets/PostProcessing be upgraded?
I don't know how it's managed, so this is a really open question ;)
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That's a good question. The maintainer for this is a little unclear to me also. I don't think it has been updated since around 2017/2018 that I can recall. Maybe even earlier.

I'm unsure if updating the stack will break existing mods, so this would be worth approaching as a discrete issue after linear changes are live.

At this stage, it's probably for the best to just delete embedded stack and install the proper package via Package Manager instead. The current setup predates the modern way of managing this, back when you had to download the stack separately.

TheLacus might want to provide feedback as his Postprocessing mod makes direct use of this stack.

Edit: I just made a quick test without committing any changes to git. There are some breaking issues as PostProcessingBehaviour no longer exists from PostProcessing Stack 2.1 and higher (currently on 3.1.1). This impacts how fog is handled in game currently. I'll need to look into this some more.

Edit2: I can overcome the breaking changes to fog settings in core easily enough. After some more thought, I think this should be part of the upcoming Linear (aka 0.13) update. If we're going to break things for modders, it's best to get both changes out of the way at once rather than spread the pain across a couple of updates.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

I agree this is a good time to upgrade the post processing stack.

I think at this point we can expose the main effects (FXAA, ambient occlusion, SSR) directly from game settings, instead of requiring a mod to be installed only to enable them. Otherwise i'll release a quick update after changes, if you prefer to keep things separated.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for your feedback Lacus. :) I've made a branch of linear changes for the postprocessing stack (no changes here yet) to be merged first into the linear branch then everything into master for 0.13 pre-release. This will likely delay my schedule for 0.13 by at least a week. Here's the branch:

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... sing-stack

I'm happy to expose those three effects in core game rather than requiring a mod just to enable them. If you don't mind, I'll shoot you a PM if I hit any troubles.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Sure, send me a pm if i can help in any way.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

After updating my local DFU clone to the latest master released as 0.12.2, the Villager Variety mod is throwing an exception when the mod system loads the prefab with the MobilePersonAsset.

Deserialization of MobilePersonAsset from VillagerVariety succeeded with messages:
Ignoring type specifier; a field/property of type VillagerVariety.VillagerVarietyMobilePerson cannot hold an instance of VillagerVariety.VillagerVarietyMobilePerson
UnityEngine.Debug:LogErrorFormat (string,object[])
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.ImportedComponentAttribute:Restore (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.Mod,UnityEngine.GameObject,string) (at Assets/Game/Addons/ModSupport/ImportedComponentAttribute.cs:307)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.Mod:AddAsset (string,DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.LoadedAsset) (at Assets/Game/Addons/ModSupport/Mod.cs:1117)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.Mod:LoadAssetFromBundle<UnityEngine.GameObject> (string,bool&) (at Assets/Game/Addons/ModSupport/Mod.cs:691)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.Mod:GetAsset<UnityEngine.GameObject> (string,bool&,bool) (at Assets/Game/Addons/ModSupport/Mod.cs:310)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.Mod:GetAsset<UnityEngine.GameObject> (string,bool) (at Assets/Game/Addons/ModSupport/Mod.cs:294)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.ModManager/<>c__DisplayClass46_0`1<UnityEngine.GameObject>:<TryGetAsset>b__1 (DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.Mod) (at Assets/Game/Addons/ModSupport/ModManager.cs:410)
System.Linq.Enumerable:FirstOrDefault<UnityEngine.GameObject> (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<UnityEngine.GameObject>,System.Func`2<UnityEngine.GameObject, bool>)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.ModManager:TryGetAsset<UnityEngine.GameObject> (string,System.Nullable`1<bool>,UnityEngine.GameObject&) (at Assets/Game/Addons/ModSupport/ModManager.cs:412)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MobilePersonMotor:FindMobilePersonAsset () (at Assets/Scripts/Game/MobilePersonMotor.cs:388)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.MobilePersonMotor:Awake () (at Assets/Scripts/Game/MobilePersonMotor.cs:165)
UnityEditor.PrefabUtility:InstantiatePrefab (UnityEngine.Object)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Utility.GameObjectHelper:InstantiatePrefab (UnityEngine.GameObject,string,UnityEngine.Transform,UnityEngine.Vector3) (at Assets/Scripts/Utility/GameObjectHelper.cs:341)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.PopulationManager:CreateNewPoolItem () (at Assets/Scripts/Game/Utility/PopulationManager.cs:267)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.PopulationManager:GetNextFreePoolItem () (at Assets/Scripts/Game/Utility/PopulationManager.cs:254)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.PopulationManager:SpawnAvailableMobile () (at Assets/Scripts/Game/Utility/PopulationManager.cs:141)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.PopulationManager:Update () (at Assets/Scripts/Game/Utility/PopulationManager.cs:123)
The mod still seems to work okay in unity, so I am not sure what effect this exception could have. I've not tried re-creating the prefab, want to see what you think this may be first.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods