Unity 5.5.0f3 New Baseline, 5.6 Compatibility Incoming

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Unity 5.5.0f3 New Baseline, 5.6 Compatibility Incoming

Post by Interkarma »

Recreating my thread from earlier with new information.

I have shifted baseline editor version to Unity 5.5.0f3 for now. This is part of the process towards adding Unity 5.6 forward compatibility in future.

I have encountered an issue with procedural terrain generation in Unity 5.6, most likely to do with optimisations to Terrain.SetHeights(). This causes terrain collider not be updated in time on first load. I'm still looking into a solution. For now, baseline will remain at 5.5 without full compatibility up to 5.6.

Contributors: please shift to Unity 5.5.0f3. The next Live Build will be created with this version.

Mod creators: once next Live Build drops, please review your mods still operate OK under new builds.

Cheers all. :)

Nystul

Re: Unity 5.5.0f3 New Baseline, 5.6 Compatibility Incoming

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote: I have encountered an issue with procedural terrain generation in Unity 5.6, most likely to do with optimisations to Terrain.SetHeights(). This causes terrain collider not be updated in time on first load. I'm still looking into a solution. For now, baseline will remain at 5.5 without full compatibility up to 5.6.
does this mean the terrain colliders are wrong in the first place or just when updating them?
Any improvements to the terrain generation speed would be welcome since it is one of the main performance bottlenecks.
will have to test this.
How does the bug manifest itself. Does the player character fall through the world?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That's right mate, player just falls through ground. Mainly seems to happen on initial terrain setup (e.g. loading a game where player is outside or first time leaving starter dungeon).

I haven't put much time into this yet. I have found that calling SetHeights() twice in a row works around the problem, but that's hardly a solution.

Let me know if you come across anything that might put us on track for a real fix.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

ok yeah i just tested and yes it sucks, even framerates are very low for me in 5.6.
had around 40-60 now i get 15-25 - this sucks as well...
installing 5.5 now

btw, why are old save games no longer detected?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul wrote: btw, why are old save games no longer detected?
I just spun up latest build and it's detecting all my previous saves OK. Maybe you have a different character selected? Try "switch character" button in load UI and see if that shows any additional save groups.

Save games are still in the usual spot in persistent data path.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

ah ok, yes it switched the default char. thx

edit: ok, performance is also bad with 5.5 - trying to investigate why but have not found the reason yet. it dropped down to about half the framerate it was before (especially noticeable when player character is outside), both main thread as well as render thread is taken much longer than before, anyone else who experiences the same slowdowns?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

I'm having a weird problem here. When i click the play button from the main menu it start a new game with a default character.
No video, no load/start/exit panel, i only find myself in the first dungeon with this guy.
Spoiler!
screenDungeon.jpg
screenDungeon.jpg (333.33 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
Is it because the process towards the new version is not yet finished or is there something wrong on my side?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hmm, I might have let one of my debug settings in scene through to git by mistake. :D

Try again with the small change I just pushed and let me know if problem is fixed. Thanks for the feedback. :)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Yes, works fine now thank you.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

just want to let you know another issue I experience with unity 5.5+

by default the main camera (and other cameras) no longer are in "deferred" mode when using "use player settings"
i tried to set the new tier settings in the graphics settings window but it does not work for me.

I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction how to solve this issue so that deferred is on by default.

only thing to make "deferred" work again is to manually change the camera in the scene...