Pushing Towards New Stable Build

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Interkarma

Pushing Towards New Stable Build

Post by Interkarma »

Hi All,

I'm making a big push towards a new stable build with very basic quest support. Just to set expectations around this, here is where I see quests in next stable build. Please remember, Daggerfall Unity is pre-alpha which means still firmly in hardmode tester territory.
  • Quests can be started individually from console command. They will not be delivered as part of normal gameplay yet. It is intended for testers to be able to test quests in isolation at first, then together at a later date to test interactions between quest scripts.
  • Not all quest resources and actions will be supported right away. I'll add a new page similar to the roadmap to list quest support in terms of complete, in progress, and not implemented. Testers should focus on complete and in-progress quest components to find bugs and tease out bad behaviour. The name of the game is iterative development.
  • Quests will not be serialised right away. They need to be started manually as part of each testing session.
  • The quest inspector (to be available by time stable build available) will allow you to manually trigger conditions, expire timers, change global variables, etc. to follow quest actions.
  • Quest support will be built out incrementally by multiple contributors until they can be offered as part of normal gameplay.
For everything else non-quest related, the goal is to tidy up, fix bugs, and stabilise where possible. I would encourage contributors to fix what they can, eliminate compile warnings, etc. over adding any big new features for now. I'll start hitting the bug reports forums to slay what bugs I can and tighten up baseline performance as we approach next stable build.

Modders, please check your mods work with current code. All older test builds will be removed once new stable build available. I'm also adding mod download links to Live Builds page for end users and testers to find these in one place for now.

Jay_H

Re: Pushing Towards New Stable Build

Post by Jay_H »

Can't wait to start testing!!! :D

Taemos

Post by Taemos »

This is very exciting! There will be so much opportunity for new types of quests. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of this. Awesome work!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you guys, I appreciate the encouragement. :)

Quest support will be very minimal to start with - we're basically just building and QA'ing cogs and gears right now. For example a quest might function 50% because some of the moving parts still need to be implemented. So what we're testing is the parts that have been implemented (the working 50%) operate as expected. Then build more parts and test again. Iterate until complete.

It's going to suck for a while, and then it won't. I just hope to push through the sucking part as quickly as possible. :lol:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote:Quest support will be very minimal to start with - we're basically just building and QA'ing cogs and gears right now. *** It's going to suck for a while, and then it won't. I just hope to push through the sucking part as quickly as possible. :lol:
It doesn't matter! It's stuff to test! :D