Changelist/Mechanic Run-down?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
tyr

Changelist/Mechanic Run-down?

Post by tyr »

Even though this game has been out for 25 years, there is surprisingly little in the way of accurate resources for it that I can find on the internet. But even if I could, that might not matter, as DFU changes plenty of stuff, like how immunity works. So quick question, is there anything like a guide to DFU anywhere? Stuff like character creation, leveled lists, vampirism/lycanthropy, etc.

BadLuckBurt

Re: Changelist/Mechanic Run-down?

Post by BadLuckBurt »

tyr wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:53 pm Even though this game has been out for 25 years, there is surprisingly little in the way of accurate resources for it that I can find on the internet. But even if I could, that might not matter, as DFU changes plenty of stuff, like how immunity works. So quick question, is there anything like a guide to DFU anywhere? Stuff like character creation, leveled lists, vampirism/lycanthropy, etc.
There's this page on the UESP: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall_Mod ... ifferences
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

tyr

Post by tyr »

I completely forgot about that page actually! It's definitely got a lot on there, but not quite everything I'm looking for. Like, how do racial bonuses work? Do vampirism and lycanthropy override weaknesses to disease? Is there a file anywhere in DFU that lists these kinds of things in plain English?

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

tyr wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:33 pm Like, how do racial bonuses work?
I believe the only racial bonuses that work are the High Elf's paralysis immunity and Nord's cold resistance. They are implemented the same way as the class creator does it. There is a mod by Ralzar called "Races Redone" that implements bonuses for the other races.
tyr wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:33 pm Do vampirism and lycanthropy override weaknesses to disease?
Vampirism's and Lycanthropy's disease immunity overrides anything set by class and race. Probably magic as well but I'm not 100% sure about that.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

XJDHDR wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:21 pm I believe the only racial bonuses that work are the High Elf's paralysis immunity and Nord's cold resistance. They are implemented the same way as the class creator does it.
This is not the first time that race bonuses are being mentioned. Somehow I had this impression from playing DOS Daggerfall that Bretons have a disease resistance bonus. However there is nothing in either the manual or Chronicles to suggest that. From the manual, Bretons should have a magicka resistance bonus, like in Morrowind (and I guess Arena? don't remember).

I also do believe that Argonians have a noticeable bonus for breathing underwater, and I guess swimming as well.

mruncreated

Post by mruncreated »

The uesp wiki is great, but it still left me with answered questions. I think it's just as important to know what something doesn't do.

Take the Dodging skill, for example. The wiki states the manual's description: "Dodging is a skill checked before one is struck by an enemy's weapon or spell."

But does it?

In my experience, Dodging doesn't affect spells at all. As in, you cannot dodge a spell. Even though the description implies this is how Dodging works... but the wiki doesn't challenge or clarify this.

It does clarify that Critical Strike doesn't work how the manual claims, at least. A bonus to hit is at least something, so it's not a worthless skill.

When I first started playing this game there were many answers I couldn't find, and twice as many times I found answers with conflicting information. Reddit is a good place to get confused about this game. There's a GameFAQs guide that claims that Willpower reduces your target's saving throw versus your own spells, at the same rate that Willpower increases your own Saving Throws versus spells (/10). This is not true, yet there are more than a few posts/guides out there that say this is how it works.

There are still a lot of things I'm not sure about. Does Swimming really let you hold your breath longer under water, and reduce the fatigue used while swimming? Does Running make you use less fatigue while running? How does Etiquette and Streetwise really work? Etc.

I'd like to see the uesp wiki updated with as much details as possible, but I don't know who's maintaining it.

I would write my own "Noob Guide" based on my own personal experience, as I have only been playing this game for a week + a few days, but I've never tried to work on a wiki before. I'm not sure if just anyone can go in there and write a page. I'd like to prevent a new player from going through the hell I've been through with this game :lol: And I think it is very easy to forget just how difficult this game is when you're new, and it's just as easy to forget all the small details... which becomes very easy to assume that everyone else knows, so most guides simply omit them.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

mruncreated wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:13 am I'd like to see the uesp wiki updated with as much details as possible, but I don't know who's maintaining it.
I created and maintained the DFU wiki for awhile, but others have taken over recently. As for the Daggerfall wiki, nobody would actually mind having correct information on there. It's a wiki! ;) If you can fix it, go for it.