Fixing Hammerfell townsfolk

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
MrFlibble

Re: Fixing Hammerfell townsfolk

Post by MrFlibble »

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:22 pm This seems reasonable. Another thing I might add is that larger towns, being cosmopolitan trade hubs, are likely to have at least some mixed population. For example you might see some non-Breton types in the city of Daggerfall.
A good point, except IIRC NPCs always have names based on the current region's race. So even a Redguard-looking publican or Fighters Guild trainer in Daggerfall should have Breton names IIRC, and Breton / non-Redguard looking shopkeepers will have Redguard names. I might be wrong on this but I've always had the impression that this should be the case.

In fact, I believe that neither Arena nor Daggerfall ever try to make an impression that any of the general population in any province is of another race than that province's main population, save for possibly some quest-related characters.

Just out of curiosity, I travelled to Sentinel in Arena, and the NPCs in the streets there are definitely Redguards both in name and appearance, although it's snowing there in the winter and they wear warm clothes. Sentinel definitely looks to be in the temperate climate area in Arena.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Since this topic is focusing on DFU now, I'll move it to General instead.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I'd like to see this fixed, I read that other thread about your climate.pak changes but I think that's not what you propose here Ferital? Or have I misunderstood?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

The problem is that races are tied to climate and while Sentinel and neighboring countries have a different climate type than in High Rock, there is the case of Dragontail Mountains which use the same climate as Wrothgarian Mountains. That's why we also have to change the climate in Dragontail, or we could end with half naked Redguard wandering under snow in winter. Unless someone like Kamer can provide clothed Redguard flats.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I'd not expect the mountain region to be changed, just the desert regions of the lower half of the map. The other thread suggested that the original intent was probably to have a 4th set of sprites but ended up being bretons. I'd like to see the redguard sprites used for a bit more of the map that's all really.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Dragonrider

Post by Dragonrider »

Hey Ferital,

is the project of changing the climate zones in Daggerfall Untity and fixing Hammerfell townsfolk (so that for example the capital Sentinel is populated by redguard commoners) still actively developed?

Or is the project dead now? If so, are there any possibilities to change the townsfolk especially in Hammerfell territories so that for example all the breton townsfolk of Hammerfell (except maybe the ones in the dragontail mountain region) is being replaced by reguard ones? And if so, what exactly would I have to do for that?

Best wishes,

Dragonrider
Last edited by Dragonrider on Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.