Demoted/Rank Down? What happened? How to prevent it?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
ReddMcKnight

Demoted/Rank Down? What happened? How to prevent it?

Post by ReddMcKnight »

So, I read that regarding playing the game, we should post here, so here it is: I'm a member of the Dark Brotherhood, and for whatever dumb reason, the Quest Giver told me I've been demoted. How did this happen, and can it be prevented in any way, or can a mod prevent it, etc.? Also, suppose I rank up to the max (called Listener in later games), can I still be demoted in that case?

Jay_H

Re: Demoted/Rank Down? What happened? How to prevent it?

Post by Jay_H »

I'll move it to DFU General ;)

Maintaining rank with a guild depends on having high reputation and skills. If you lose reputation with the Dark Brotherhood, you can go down in rank. See here: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Rep ... ation_Loss

Sometimes you do a quest that the Dark Brotherhood doesn't like, and you lose points with them. That's part of the swirling world of TES2. As long as you do quests for them often enough, you won't lose rank at all.

No matter how high you get in the organization, the rep decay still applies.

ReddMcKnight

Post by ReddMcKnight »

Apologies for posting in the wrong area. :?

So, it sounds like I just need to pay more attention and also not work for other guilds on the same save. Sounds simple, but it'll probably drive me up the wall. Not that I really mind. The game is that good. :D Thanks.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah, at around 3 guilds it starts becoming a hassle to maintain all ranks at once. Think of it as having three jobs and hoping to work for a promotion in each one at the same time.

And also, as Jay mentioned, if you take a quest that has you working against the Dark Brotherhood or for a faction they hate, your rep with Dark Brotherhood will take a hit. This makes it so some factions are intentionallt hard to be a member of at the same time. The most obvious example bing the Mages Guild and Temple of Julianos. They hate eachother, so each time you do anything positive for one of them, the rep goes down with the other.
In addition, the game has random faction interaction. You can see this if you use the Any New function with NPCs where they will tell you about factions becoming enemies or making peace. So if you are unlucky, the two guild you are a member of might one day suddenly start disliking eachother and you are caught in the middle.

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Ralzar wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:54 am Yeah, at around 3 guilds it starts becoming a hassle to maintain all ranks at once. Think of it as having three jobs and hoping to work for a promotion in each one at the same time.

And also, as Jay mentioned, if you take a quest that has you working against the Dark Brotherhood or for a faction they hate, your rep with Dark Brotherhood will take a hit. This makes it so some factions are intentionallt hard to be a member of at the same time. The most obvious example bing the Mages Guild and Temple of Julianos. They hate eachother, so each time you do anything positive for one of them, the rep goes down with the other.
In addition, the game has random faction interaction. You can see this if you use the Any New function with NPCs where they will tell you about factions becoming enemies or making peace. So if you are unlucky, the two guild you are a member of might one day suddenly start disliking eachother and you are caught in the middle.
Also have in mind that doing quests for rival factions isn't the only way to lose reputatiom within a guild. You also lose a point of reputation every 112 days (a little under 4 months), so if you go too long without doing any quests for a guild you'll also start noticing a reputation loss with them.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

i just ran into something weird.

I took a quest from the first person you see when entering a fighters guild. He told me to go see someone for a dangerous mission. that person attacked me then sent me to a dungeon.

It seems like after beating this mission i lost 2 rep with the fighters guild.

have others had the same?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:An_ ... ain.2FLoss

You'll always lose reputation for taking that quest.

Don't we love Daggerfall? :)

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:16 pm https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:An_ ... ain.2FLoss

You'll always lose reputation for taking that quest.

Don't we love Daggerfall? :)
lol amazing.

i guess many of the bugs have been squashed, just the weird ones to find now.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

It's not a bug, it's the way the quest is written.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods