main quest areas

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
risk

main quest areas

Post by risk »

a few things about the main quest castles / dungeons / areas:

1. am i the only one who can't get through the rectangle box at mid level - which is part of the design of the dungeon at castle wayrest (wayrest painting quest). you are supposed to get close to it and crouch and climb and go through it, but i find it doesn't work. i actually remember this wasn't a problem at all in the original daggerfall.

2. mantellan crux area - it seems that some creatures have been replaced by unsuitable creatures (and different from the original as described in the walkthrough). my most recent playthrough had lots of harpies and tigers instead of high level undead.

on another note, is it just me who finds some of the main quest level design to be off-putting and out of place with the rest of the game? suddenly from being an open ended immersive game - these quests suddenly feel like an illogical puzzle game involving random levers, and movements you would not expect to do if you were an adventurer. it is almost the opposite of the feel you get from daggerfall, because suddenly it becomes contrived and methodical.

replaying the whole game, everything was incredible particularly with all the mods that the community contributed towards. however it was frustrating to play through castle llugwych (ancient watcher), castle sentinel (soul of a lich), and the mantellan crux levels. those levels reduce the overall experience of the game, to me. direnni tower was interesting the first time, but annoying to have to go through everything each time (if you set an anchor close to medora, you can't exit without using the console as the way out is magically locked).

does anyone get the same feeling about these quests that need a very specific way of completing them?

pango

Re: main quest areas

Post by pango »

1. has been discussed a bit previously, say starting from viewtopic.php?p=50961#p50961

2. The Mantellan Crux is a dungeon like another, part of the monsters are dictated by the kind of dungeon (in this case, a Harpy Nest) and current player's level. So you probably arrived there at a lower level than what you're used to.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

risk

Post by risk »

1. thank you

2. i was level 24 - what level do most people get to before finishing the game?
my feeling is that daggerfall is probably best to be finished before level 20 (depending on your character type of course!).
i was just testing out a lot of new quests and features so dragged out doing random things when i could have finished the game a lot earlier.

pango

Post by pango »

Mmmh I don't think I ever had a character at level 24, in classic or Daggerfall Unity...
Anyway, dungeon spawn tables only have entries up to level 20, anything above is handled like level 20.
And thinking of it, Harpy Nest table could explain harpies, but not tigers. Even using the somewhat experimental/flawed "alternate random enemies selection" algorithm would not explain tigers in the Mantellan Crux.

Are you using mods? Otherwise I'm not sure what's going on.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

risk

Post by risk »

haha yes i essentially finished everything at level 17 or around there.. but took a really long time do the totem quest.. and then over half an in-game year to do the mantellan crux level =p

i have not used the alternate random enemies before. i'm using quite a few mods including ones like unlevelled mobs / loot, roleplay & realism, and lots of added quest types. i don't think any of them would affect the main quest.

i had wilderness NPCs early on - but found it hilarious! sometimes would get a full on battle in dungeons - like 10v10v10 or something like that.. with everyone flailing, and spells blazing everywhere. i would just cast invisibility and watch from a safe distance.. it was a cool idea but tended to spawn way too many enemies lol.