Upgrade quirk, missing save button (fixed)

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
AuntiePixel

Upgrade quirk, missing save button (fixed)

Post by AuntiePixel »

Had a really weird bug happen when I upgraded from the 0.1.17 to current. The game started up fine, and everything seemed to be working, but when I opened the save or load menu, the button to save or load was missing/blank. No text, just an outline. If I click where it should be and the save name is blank, it tells me I need text in that field. But with text in that field, the blank button does nothing.

Fix was easy, I forgot to delete the .../appdata/locallow/... files during the upgrade. Deleting them so they were recreated fixed the issue.

Just mentioning it here in case someone else runs into that issue later and might find this while searching. And so the devs see it, not to fix it since it's not a supported use case, but just so they know it happened in case it plays into something else in the future.

Cheers

pango

Re: Upgrade quirk, missing save button (fixed)

Post by pango »

AuntiePixel wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:39 pm Had a really weird bug happen when I upgraded from the 0.1.17 to current. The game started up fine, and everything seemed to be working, but when I opened the save or load menu, the button to save or load was missing/blank. No text, just an outline. If I click where it should be and the save name is blank, it tells me I need text in that field. But with text in that field, the blank button does nothing.
That looks like an issue with Unity "addressables"...
How do you upgrade Daggerfall Unity, do you install the new version in a brand new directory?

Before you reset the settings, did the launcher show up when you started the game?
Maybe you experienced an issue similiar to viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4954
AuntiePixel wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:39 pm Fix was easy, I forgot to delete the .../appdata/locallow/... files during the upgrade. Deleting them so they were recreated fixed the issue.
Well, that's not supposed to be necessary, so that's not a proper fix. In fact that's why all those files (that include game saves, some people just don't blindly remove everything there) are not stored in game directory.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

AuntiePixel

Post by AuntiePixel »

Hmm... Not sure it's the same as the linked issue.

So, my upgrade went like so, I have a daggerfall folder inside of which are folders containing: The original daggerfall game files, one folder per version of daggerfall unity, and one folder for mod storage (speaking of which, I did repeat this with all mods disabled). When I upgrade, I download the new unity version and it gets a new folder alongside the existing ones. Then I copy the mods from storage into the new instance of unity, checking for updates as I go.

When I ran the new unity, it skipped the "point me at your daggerfall files". It opened into the normal launch menu I see, with some check boxes, mods on the left, advanced on the right, and Play in the middle.

And as I mentioned, everything seemed to be going normally until I tried to save. Press escape, click save, and there's the normal save UI, but the Save button was blank.

Oh, I think I was upgrading from 0.11.2, not what I said above

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

AuntiePixel wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:18 pm When I ran the new unity, it skipped the "point me at your daggerfall files". It opened into the normal launch menu I see, with some check boxes, mods on the left, advanced on the right, and Play in the middle.
This should only be needed to do once: the first time you run DFU on the PC ever.
I have about 20 versions of DFU by now and I have never needed to point DFU to the daggerfall files after I did this the first time. But if you are deleteing the files in locallow, that are meant to be stored permanently, this is why and probably also why you are experiencing weird behaviour now.

AuntiePixel

Post by AuntiePixel »

Other way around, I hadn't deleted the locallow files ever before, but when I got that weird save button error, deleting them is what fixed it.