The new Shader release issues... 0.12 vs. 0.13 =(

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Core

Re: The new Shader release issues... 0.12 vs. 0.13 =(

Post by Core »

Interkarma wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:13 am
Core wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:53 pm but not at the expense of loosing the bright points in the scene, like the fires & lights & glows, those were meant to be there, not to be muted out for the sake of the whole scene, that's just a mistake visually that only a tech would make, not an artist trying to bring the eyes to certain places by adding brighter lights or glows.
Fireplaces and lights have no such overbright appearance in classic. These washed out emissive textures were a result of Standard shader in Unity only. No artist ever designed or intended them to look that way, and they only ever looked like that in versions DFU using Standard shader. Even early versions of DFU (pre Standard shader) didn't look like that. The overbright versions in 0.12 are literally the result of a tech mistake, and how they look in 0.13 is the artist's intent. I'm afraid you have things backwards there. :)
Ok ,my bad on that, i guess i really do not live breathe DF Classic as much as DFU, thank you for addressing my post Interkarma, comparing 0.12 to 0.13 was only that, not an intent to go back to 0.12, or to say all that work to go forward was a mistake, i just reacted to what i felt was instantly missing, i do like the lights i mentioned being brighter bc i feel they're in the scenes to attract us to them in an otherwise bland landscape, if things are linear then i feel they should be more of a curve for just that reason alone, and that is a personal subjective opinion that i have no authority to push into anyone's future DFU agenda, but just one opinion, not the first one in the long road we've traveled to here, lol. Cheers =)
Last edited by Core on Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Core

Re: The new Shader release had absolutely horrible results to the game... =(

Post by Core »

Jay_H wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:46 pm ..., remember when talking to strangers on the internet: calling a product "horrible" that people have put hours of unpaid time into tends to put you on people's bad side. Please consider how others will interpret your words as you post them.
My inability to edit the Post Title now or before is/was more a problem with this forum's software fwiw i had inclinations to change it, but i cannot anymore... sigh.

Gravitus

Post by Gravitus »

New version looks less hazy and more true-to-color. Meaning you can *do more* with filters. Think of it this way: There's a thousand ways you can equalize a neutral headphone. Making a tinny headphone sound neutral is usually much more involved.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Core! It's all good mate, no stress here. :)

FWIW you can enable bloom in 0.13.2 to make lights really glow, or just brighten them up a bit depending on intensity.

My challenge is finding that nice balance between classic textures and support for modern materials and effects. Some people want things classic as possible, others want to mod as much as possible, and some want to land somewhere in between.

That's why I adopted Unity's Standard shader at first. This shader was a decent catchall for most material setups and had a good range of capabilities. Unfortunately Standard has that hardcoded specular shine often associated with Unity games. I've had a lot of complaints about that particular look and fixing it has been a goal for years. I'm just finally getting around to it now.

As things stand, new shaders properly render classic diffuse materials while still enabling a PBR workflow. They're cleaner and faster than Standard with most of the same capabilities. If that's not enough, modders can use fully custom materials in a .dfmod.

I'm really happy with how rendering review has turned out, and I believe new shaders look better than ever with classic textures. I know that doesn't help if you preferred that Standard shine, but hopefully it helps explain history of it. The overbright effect on light billboards was just a side-effect of Unity's built-in Standard shader and something that had to be fixed. You can now restore that glowing look using effects, rather than having it unintentionally forced on for everyone at all times. And the baseline now looks properly diffuse as these textures did in classic.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Core wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:20 pm My inability to edit the Post Title now or before is/was more a problem with this forum's software fwiw i had inclinations to change it, but i cannot anymore... sigh.
Nah, don't worry about it. I, of anyone, sometimes say things in the heat of the moment that need not be said. You can edit your post now, that setting should be restored at this time :)