Is this worth a try?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Zavi

Is this worth a try?

Post by Zavi »

With Skyrim being re-released again that brought my interest back into the Elder Scrolls franchise as a whole, and I've never played the earliest entries being Daggerfall and Arena. Everyone says that this is the best version to use and I was just curious about it. Would the standard version on the Bethesda website suffice or is this really the best way to get the vanilla experience? Also, will InterKarma be My Hero if I do like this version more?

Interkarma

Re: Is this worth a try?

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Zavi, welcome to the forums! :)

If you want to try classic DOS Daggerfall first, I'd steer you towards DaggerfallSetup, which is also mirrored on UESP. Unlike the version provided by Beth, DaggerfallSetup is fully patched and comes with even more community fixes on top of that. It's easily the best way to play the classic version.

While DaggerfallSetup installer should also work fine with DFU, I recommend getting the game files we provide for best compatibility. Steps on setting up DaggerfallUnity with this DaggerfallGameFiles method is below.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360&p=27538#p27538

I hope you enjoy playing it whichever version you use. Post any gameplay questions here in this topic and I'm sure the community help you get started. Good luck with Daggerfall!

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Zavi wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:42 am With Skyrim being re-released again that brought my interest back into the Elder Scrolls franchise as a whole, and I've never played the earliest entries being Daggerfall and Arena. Everyone says that this is the best version to use and I was just curious about it. Would the standard version on the Bethesda website suffice or is this really the best way to get the vanilla experience? Also, will InterKarma be My Hero if I do like this version more?
Literally any other version is better than the one on Bethesdas website. Unless you want as many bugs as possible of course. Then you should use their version :D

If you want to play the original game, but with pretty much all bugs fixed, a bunch of optional Quality of Life improvements and support for modern resolutions and hardware etc, DFU is the way to go.
If you want the original DOS experience, but most bugs fixed, go with daggerfallsetup from UESP.

pango

Post by pango »

If you do want to give the original a try, I suggest you at least spend 5 minutes remapping controls to get WASD + mouse look:

Esc>Controls: Forward: W, Reverse: S, Slide Left: A, Slide Right: D (then remap conflicts to whatever you please)
Esc>Controls>Mouse: View

It'll still won't handle diagonal movements, but it will be a lot easier to enjoy. That's how I always played classic anyway (that, and turn on full screen mode, but you have to remember all keyboard shortcuts).
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Forget the original - theres no way you will like it more than DFU, if you havent played it in 96 and you are not a masochist.

bearhead

Post by bearhead »

I would say Daggerfall Unity is the way to go. I tried getting into Daggerfall several years ago (my first ES game was Morrowind), and the controls and lo-res dunegon maps made dungeon crawling a struggle for me (and there is ALOT of dungeon crawling in this game). DF Unity fixed both of those issues, and I'm now fully addicted to it - haha.

Plus the modding support is pretty great, I especially recommend Travel Options and Basic Roads if you want more immersion while travelling.