having issues with daggerfall

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
aryankanse6

having issues with daggerfall

Post by aryankanse6 »

Basically I am around lvl 4. I have done a few quests for a couple guilds and i hit a wall.

I am a paladin... I cant learn restoration because I failed the first mages guild quest and now the quests they want me to do are insane. I cant get a doable quest to spawn.

The quests range from killing one guy in a house, to killing the boss of a dungeon that takes 1000 hours to clear.

Is there any way to tell if the quest is even appropriate for my level?

In dungeons i run into the following issues

Locked doors - doors are all locked, and my lockpicking sucks. so i have to save and recast open/ load/ open repeatedly just to get one door open since open uses 80 percent of my magickahttps://nox.tips/ https://xender.vip/

sprawling - I LOVE the large sprawling dungeons... in moderation. But almost every quest I do seems to be a sprawling epic dungeon that you can get lost in for hours at a time.

For restoration spells do I just learn them at the mages guild too? Does the temple just have potions (not until high level? I guess potions are hella rare)

Only way to heal is to rest or restoration spell?

what should be appropriate for my level right now? Should I focus on ONE guild at a time? I am in the temple (1 quest completed) fighters (had to rejoin, no quests atm) knights (2 quests) and I need to be in mages for their services, but I don't know if I can really beat any of the quests they are handing out.

Im worried the entirely random nature of the game might prove too much for me to handle.

At least I have a dwarven sabre and elven longsword. They have saved my ass so much.

Also does gold have weight?
Last edited by aryankanse6 on Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralzar

Re: having issues with daggerfall

Post by Ralzar »

Locked Doors: Just hit them to bash them open

Sprawling Dungeons: You get used to it. However, there is a setting in DFUs ini file to activate smaller dungeons.

Restoration Spells: You do not need to be a member of the Mages Guild to buy spells. Also, note that the Temple Of Kynareth offers casting services. So this is a good alternative to the Mages Guild for a paladin-type character.

Healing: Resting is the normal way to heal yes. Other than that, healing spells and potions.

Choose one or two guilds that you want to join. For a paladin I would suggest a knightly order or the fighters guild. And then either Temple of Kynareth or the Mages Guild.

Quests: Just read the quest description and hope for the best. Fighters Guild in particular has a bunch of easy local quests. Like rat/bat exterminations, or handling a wild animal.

PS: a lot of the problems and shortcomings you run into in Daggerfall can be solved with mods. But for a first try at the game, getting used to the vanilla mechanics is perhaps best.

And if you need some on-the-fly help with the game, we have an unofficial DFU discord: https://discord.gg/AzQPDEm3qH

Tkia

Re: having issues with daggerfall

Post by Tkia »

Mages guild offer a quest to go and retrieve some research notes from a scholar, just keep saying no until they offer that one. There's also other non fighting quests like casting a sleep spell on someone but you need to have the bought version of the spell and I'm not sure how easy it is if your casting skill is low.

If the randomness bothers you there is a setting to get the guilds to offer you a list of the available quests so that you can choose the one you want - try turning that on.