Possible virus in v0.13.1-beta (64bit)

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
fgoron2000

Possible virus in v0.13.1-beta (64bit)

Post by fgoron2000 »

Hello,

I'm new to Daggerfall Unity, and when I tried to extract the files from the 64bit version of the v0.13.1 beta ZIP file, Norton identified and removed about a dozen files it identified as unsafe. The 32bit and both 32bit & 64bit of v0.12.3 beta had no such issues. As this is a beta pre-release, I'm just letting you know what I experienced, so that you can look into it. I see that the latest stable version is actually the v0.12.3 version anyway, so I'll start with that.

The files that Norton ID'd in the v0.13.1 64-bit were:
Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll
Assembly-CSharp.dll
Unity.Addressables.dll
Unity.Localization.dll
Unity.Postprocessing.Runtime.dll
Unity.ResourceManager.dll
Unity.ScriptableBuildPipeline.dll
Unity.TextMeshPro.dll
Unity.Timeline.dll
UnityEngine.SpatialTracking.dll
UnityEngine.UI.dll
UnityEngine.XR.LegacyInputHelpers.dll

I hope this helps.

pango

Re: Possible virus in v0.13.1-beta (64bit)

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums, fgoron2000

I suspect the difference could come from postprocessing stack upgrade, but I don't see why an antivirus should care...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Re: Possible virus in v0.13.1-beta (64bit)

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there! :) Some of these files are from Unity's post processing stack, which is embedded into DFU as of 0.13.1. But these are all just typical Unity runtime files. This is a false positive or an overzealous trust setting in Norton.

For anyone concerned, please scan build zip files using Virus Total. This will examine contents against a few dozen scan engines. I scanned "windows_64bit-v0.13.1-beta.zip" and it's all clear. My own antivirus, Sophos, also has no issues with it.

For transparency, it's possible to review Daggerfall Unity's source code here. This contains an embedded copy of Unity post processing stack, which is itself open source here. The builds and resulting zip files are generated directly from source online using Unity Cloud Build. The only modification is to rename zips to follow my naming convention.

Virus Total is an excellent online tool to run secondary safety checks in the case of false positives like this one. I hope this helps put your mind at ease.