Hard numbers on material spawn with Level progression?ion?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
daggerdude

Hard numbers on material spawn with Level progression?ion?

Post by daggerdude »

So I've been playing this a long time I know that you can get silver and even elven in privateers hold with one level up. I think the progression is that every level unlocks the next material based on gameplay.

In short, I'm curious what the numbers are for dfu and how it calculates in level progression to spawn rate. I know it's not exactly classic but I know it's pretty close.

I believe it's something like this for weapons:
Common tier:
1-steel and silver
2- elven
3-dwarven
Uncommon tier:
5-mithril
6-adamantium
Rare tier:
7-ebony
8-orcish
9-daedric.

Now in classic things get a little screwy. I think this has been tweaked a little based on what I see but in classic, once you hit the level required it's a very rare chance of that material spawning, like one out of 100, but you'll see levels under you more common, with iron and steel still making up 50% of what you find anyway.
It's almost impossible to find silver and orcish regardless of level though, and end game is almost all daedric.

Armor? It's even more rare to find the material you're looking for. I remember going entire games without ever finding silver or orcish armor.

I'm level six now and finding elven or dwarven armor anything is pretty rare still, the weapons are a lot less rare.

pango

Re: Hard numbers on material spawn with Level progression?ion?

Post by pango »

It's been a while since I looked into that, so I forgot some details; Roughly speaking, materials have some base rarity

Code: Select all

materialsByModifier = { 64,   // Iron
                       128,   // Steel
                        10,   // Silver
                        21,   // Elven
                        13,   // Dwarven
                         8,   // Mithril
                         5,   // Adamantium
                         3,   // Ebony
                         2,   // Orcish
                         5 }; // Daedric
Then RandomMaterial() kicks in: as your character level progresses the "window" or materials that you get in random loot is shifted.
So in the beginning you get lot of iron, it drops as you get access to better and better materials, and in the end it's the daedric part that increases, still taking the place of some iron. There's some inflection at character level 10, where the window shifting slows down.
Net result is something like that (sorry for the 255 vertical scale, divide everything by 2.55 and pretend it's a percentage):
materials.png
materials.png (52.56 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
I attached the LibreOffice spreadsheet
Attachments
drop materials.zip
(30.63 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

Dang, what a response! This is beautiful!
I would say this should go on UESP but I know the formulas are different .

I will say looking at this data is concerning though I appreciate the focus on feature faithfulness, but for sure daggerfall got it wrong when it comes to materials.

I don't suppose there's a mod for this, or a simple way to change this?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

daggerdude wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:48 pm I would say this should go on UESP but I know the formulas are different .
Why do you think that? AFAIK the formula is the same as classic.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

I thought silver was tweaked since the spawns were so rare. But I could be wrong. Could have sworn I read in a post here.