Collaborating

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
LypyL

Collaborating

Post by LypyL »

Anyone interested in working together on a game using DFTFU? We have a bunch of talented people with different skills here, we could probably make something cool if we work together on it. I was thinking we could start with something relatively simple to get our feet wet and then think about bigger projects. Anyways, if you're interested let me know :)

AshSlave

Re: Collaborating

Post by AshSlave »

I can only make weird and unnecessarily intricate systems with questionable usefulness. If you need such thing I'm only happy to contribute.

Daschluba

Post by Daschluba »

I would be interested. I got some knowledge with Blender if 3D models are needed.
Any idea what that game could be?
Last edited by Daschluba on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

+1 to this idea. Remastering Daggerfall is an important goal, but I'm also interested in what this community can do with Daggerfall+Unity as a starting point. Just look at all the amazing total conversion mods that became standalone games in their own right (DayZ, DotA, Team Fortress, Garry's Mod, Dark Mod, Black Mesa, just to name a few).

Even with the current state of DFTFU (missing quests, inventory, etc.) there's enough of a starting point to build something great. For example, I get a real Magic Carpet vibe flying around in LypyL's jet mod. There are probably hundreds of fascinating concepts just waiting to happen.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

AshSlave wrote:I can only make weird and unnecessarily intricate systems with questionable usefulness. If you need such thing I'm only happy to contribute.
As long as you comment your code, that's cool :D
Daschluba wrote:Any idea what that game could be?
My thinking was for a simple first project just would be to do something similar as the demos / mod showcase, but turn it into an actual game...things like player death, advancement, a proper UI, and maybe try to implement saving and loading, stuff like that. Just need to know what people want to do (and nobody should worry that they're not professionals or whatever ;) )

And after we tackle a simple project like that, we can move onto something more complicated (and more fun :D ).
Even with the current state of DFTFU (missing quests, inventory, etc.) there's enough of a starting point to build something great. For example, I get a real Magic Carpet vibe flying around in LypyL's jet mod. There are probably hundreds of fascinating concepts just waiting to happen.

Definitely...I have like 10 different games in my head I want to make (in addition to daggerfall itself) Some are relatively simple like an AvP style deathmatch / teamdeathmatch (silver hand v. werewolves?), to my dream project which is like Daggerfall but before every new game you can generate a new world ala Dwarf fortress - not just the terrain and such, but everything - factions, locations, people, artifacts, gods etc.

Daschluba

Post by Daschluba »

My thinking was for a simple first project just would be to do something similar as the demos / mod showcase, but turn it into an actual game...things like player death, advancement, a proper UI, and maybe try to implement saving and loading, stuff like that. Just need to know what people want to do (and nobody should worry that they're not professionals or whatever ;) )

And after we tackle a simple project like that, we can move onto something more complicated (and more fun :D ).
Even just a simple RPG that has just the basics in it would already be awesome to do, and an advance one even more. You got all my assistance with it.
Also i got many ideas for it, could we make an thread somewhere to discuss game related stuff? Or is it to early?

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Daschluba wrote:Even just a simple RPG that has just the basics in it would already be awesome to do, and an advance one even more. You got all my assistance with it.
Also i got many ideas for it, could we make an thread somewhere to discuss game related stuff? Or is it to early?
I like the enthusiasm :D

You can post stuff here for now, we'll stick to planning and such for the time (and hopefully recruit some more victims :lol: ). Just try and remember the motto K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) for the first project :D

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Unity or if you've run DFTFU from Unity 5 yet, if not now is a good time to start

Daschluba

Post by Daschluba »

I know how to do some visual things in Unity like making terrain, building levels or something but sadly nothing with coding :( . DFTFU i got runing in Unity.

About the planning:
I think the game should definitely have save/loading in it.
Other than that, will the world be handmade or will it be procedual generated?
Also what level will the graphics have, i would like some retro graphics maybe on the level of Daggerfall or Arena just with more details in the world.
Also, about the world, should we make our own? I got somewhere a selfmade fantasy map lying around that i made a year ago, when i find it i can post it here if your interested.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

I know how to do some visual things in Unity like making terrain, building levels or something but sadly nothing with coding :( . DFTFU i got runing in Unity.
That's cool, not everyone needs to be a coder. I'm no good when it comes to modeling / texturing and such myself! Though if want to learn how to when it comes to unity & c# there are a lot of great tutorials.
Other than that, will the world be handmade or will it be procedual generated?
Also what level will the graphics have, i would like some retro graphics maybe on the level of Daggerfall or Arena just with more details in the world.
Also, about the world, should we make our own? I got somewhere a selfmade fantasy map lying around that i made a year ago, when i find it i can post it here if your interested.
It sounds like you're thinking about making a game basically from scratch...that's a whole lot more than I'm thinking of at this point :lol: As I mentioned before, I wash more thinking of just building on one of the DFTFU demos and making it into something more like an actual game.

Daschluba

Post by Daschluba »

It sounds like you're thinking about making a game basically from scratch...that's a whole lot more than I'm thinking of at this point :lol: As I mentioned before, I wash more thinking of just building on one of the DFTFU demos and making it into something more like an actual game.
Ups sorry, got something wrong then. Just ignore the post above.