Collaborating

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
mingorau

Re: Collaborating

Post by mingorau »

Why not a middle age style DOOM like survival game? That's the easiest to start. It doesn't have to be a rpg with character generation and you can mix weird weapons like magical rocket launchers and tune the gameplay to a dungeon crawl experience where the objective is to escape the dungeon alive.

You will probably need an intro screen which sets the game scenario and gives the player it's purpose:

"The mad wizard Xant promised to get revenge on you after he was brought to jail. Now that he escaped (again) you have been sleeping with one eye open. While resting in an oasis in the Alyik'r desert you started to have a strange dream. In it Xant is levitating above you while you sleep chanting strange enchantements. You try to open your eyes and awake but you can't. Then wizard stops it's chanting and your ear him saying Revenge his mine at last, then he transforms into a Dragon and disappears in the night sky of the desert.
You awake inside a dim litted cave and immediatly with no exists except a nearby stone walled corridor that turns into a dead end (NOTE: This is the startup cave in Privateers Hold). Horrified you realize that you weren't dreaming. Xant must have cast a domination spell while you were sleeping and teleported you to an abandoned dungeon. With only a single knife and your bare cloths you will have to find the exit to this forsaken abandoned dungeon if you wish to survive."

Feel free to rewrite, spell-check and shorten this if you wish.

This is convinient because you can use Daggerfall models and sounds and there are a lot of sites on the internet that provide free licensed models for weapons and effects. The only work you will have is:
* balance stats for the player and monsters
* setup traps and lever puzzles
* add a few npcs or leave a few notes with motivation text (perhaps Xant has imprisoned other enemies and they left a diary)
* provide some very simple dialog system, really just a bare window with buttons on the bottom
* if someone is interested you could work together to create a few movies using Daggerfall asssets when, when some important objectives are complete but a few images with text will also work
* really well written dialogs and motivation texts will work so if someone has good fiction writing skills this could work very

I would be very interested to play this game if it gets done.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Daschluba wrote: Ups sorry, got something wrong then.
No worries. We'll probably hold off until the 1.3 update is done, so we''ll stick to brainstorming for the time being

Why not a middle age style DOOM like survival game? That's the easiest to start. It doesn't have to be a rpg with character generation
That's essentially what I had in mind when I mentioned adding player death / advancement (upgrading weapons/armor etc.) and so on to the demo as a start, though I was thinking about making the world overrun with enemies rather than using dungeons. I like the idea of dungeons in retrospect, as we could "link" them together to create levels, each being an individual scene so we could hand place some stuff.
I would be very interested to play this game if it gets done.
Well it seems like you just volunteered :lol:

mingorau

Post by mingorau »

While thinking about this last night i had another idea. Why not make this into a 3D roguelike game? I always enjoyed roguelike gameplay and it would be cool to play a roguelike with full 3D graphics for a change. Daggerfall already supports some lego like structure so generating a dungeon would be a mater of randomly combining dungeon blocks using some information about each to tell which blocks are more compatible with the others. The only thing i don't like about Daggerfall is that it's dungeon block matrix is flat, that is blocks can't stack on top of each other and the blocks themselves are twice as tall they are large which complicates things. To make it worst, Daggerfall dungeons have an annoying limitation in which there can be only one exit per dungeon/interior (but apparently there can be more than one entry).

"Well it seems like you just volunteered"

Of course, but like many people who are also interested in helping, i will only be able to do it after middle of July or start of August. Until then i might just play Daggerfall once in a while to get some screenshots of Daggerfall dungeon blocks. These pages at UESP already provide some information about dungeon blocks:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Dungeons
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Tra ... ion_Method
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Category:Daggerfall-Places

Ernisius

Post by Ernisius »

I would also like to get involved with this. I'm ok with Unity and C#,but have only been involved with small Windows application type projects/tools. I've never done anything on the scale of the daggerfall tools.

Initially I was looking at adding an inventory system, starting with just picking things up and adding them to the player inventory, and then afterwards modifying player stats using attributes of worn items.

I would like initially to use the original daggerfall graphics.

is there an easy way of extracting interface graphics using these tools.?

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

A basic inventory system would be great.
is there an easy way of extracting interface graphics using these tools.?
You'll want to use the Daggerfall Imaging toolset which you can find on the workshop under downloads. You might be able to extract the images you want directly and import them into Unity, but IIRC some people have problems with that. The inventory window images are under IMG Files in the drop down menu.

Otherwise you can use the ImgFile class to load these types of files. If you want an example of using the ImgFile class to load a file, check out PlayerCompass. There is also MaterialReader / TextureReader (you'll probably just want to use MaterialReader) for Texture files.

edit: Changed instructions for IMG files

Ernisius

Post by Ernisius »

Thanks

I had already got most of the textures using Texturereader, Using DaggerfallUnity.cs as a guide, but didn't find the Inventory images.

But the imaging toolset works great, and the images I wanted were as you said, in the img section. It's very easy to import to Unity from there.

I thought I had played Daggerfall a lot all those years ago, but there are so many images I don't recognise., I think I barely scratched the surface.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Awesome, it sounds like you're picking everything up impressively fast! :D
I thought I had played Daggerfall a lot all those years ago, but there are so many images I don't recognise., I think I barely scratched the surface.
I know what you mean! Hell, I've found things IN daggerfall using DFTFU that I don't recall seeing before, like certain building models.

DovahkiinDemon

Post by DovahkiinDemon »

I have, until now, been frustrated not being able to do anything Daggerfall-related for a good long while. However, I've decided to stop being silly and expectant of a remake being done by itself and learn how to make my dreams come true. Back on DaggerXL's forums, I made an extensive thread of "Feature Requests" which were pretty much things I felt that needed to be changed or added to the game, so if it wanted to be reviewed, I could post the jist of it here for easy access. So now I'm going to learn what makes these tools tick, and hopefully I can help you guys out very soon. :)

Ernisius

Post by Ernisius »

You don't have to be a programmer or modeller to contribute.

Interkarma has done a fantastic job of importing all of the graphics of Daggerfall into Unity , and created tools to display and move around the entire world.

There is additional information that is needed to implement a clone, that I don't think is easily available.

List of monsters and there stats.
List of ivventory objects and stats.
List of spells.
List of quests, and dialogues

This can probably be added to.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Ernisius wrote: There is additional information that is needed to implement a clone, that I don't think is easily available.

List of monsters and there stats.
List of ivventory objects and stats.
List of spells.
List of quests, and dialogues

This can probably be added to.
Now that 1.3 is in the wrap-up stages, I'm planning out my journey for 1.4. Along with revisiting the translation side of things, I definitely want to get in monster stats and inventory items. I've mostly sorted out the file formats, so expect to hear more about these within 3-4 weeks.

Spells, quests, and dialog text are also pretty well understood. I will build API methods to query this data Soon™. My refresh cycle seems to be around 3 months, so we should be seeing those come online by September-ish.