Collaborating

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ernisius

Re: Collaborating

Post by Ernisius »

That sounds great.
Please let me know if I can help in any way.

I you do get any inventory lists, even provisional, it would help me in creating the inventory system.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Ernisius wrote: There is additional information that is needed to implement a clone, that I don't think is easily available.

List of monsters and there stats.
List of ivventory objects and stats.
List of spells.
List of quests, and dialogues

This can probably be added to.
Just to be clear Ernisius, this project is not intended to make a daggerfall clone (at least for now). We're aiming for something far, far more simpler than that.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Alright, so the 1.3 update has been out for a while and the bigger bugs have been squashed out, so I think it's time to move forward with this whoever is still interested :D

I think this sum up the core ideas (both mine & others):

- A dungeon crawler

- random dungeons

- Cut scenes for plot (probably images, music and text)

- inventory

- Player progression (better weapons, armor etc.)

- Ability to save and load

- UI (both player HUD with stuff like health/armor and a menu)

------------------------------------------------

With Interkarma's help I've been putting together a random dungeon generator and it's almost ready. The main thing that needs to be added is the ability to add extra exits, which is course required to let the player go to the next dungeon.

There could either be an infinite # of levels, or what I think would be better is to have a fixed # of levels and the final one could be a boss battle relating to the plot. That would also make it possible to have cutscenes between the levels as well.

Saving/loading would be very easy if we just kept it to the start of each level - in other words, when you load a save it will put you at the beginning of that level. The save state would then just be the layout of the dungeon which is extremely easy to get, and basic information about the player like health and weapons and so forth.

New weapons / armor could either be done with drops (either from killing enemies or placed randomly), or we could give the player $$$ for killing enemies and they could find merchants (like at the beginning of each level) and spend it on new weapons, power ups, armor, health potions that kind of thing.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

wait, a daggerfall randomly generated multi-level dungeon with merchants underneath, like a roguelike? YES YES YES!

Ernisius

Post by Ernisius »

I've made a start on the inventory script, using the original Daggerfall graphics,

I modified the Enemy death script to instantiate a random treasure instead of a corpse billboard, so when you click on it the inventory pops up with a list of the treasure items you can then add to the player inventory.

You can also equip ( although this has no effect on the player yet), some items or drop them again. Dropping them creates another treasure pile in front of the player.

I need to do some work around the master item list, and item parameters.
Last edited by Ernisius on Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

Ernisius wrote:I've made a start on the inventory script, using the original Daggerfall graphics,

I modified the player death script to instantiate a random treasure instead of a corpse billboard, so when you click on it the inventory pops up with a list of the treasure items you can then add to the player inventory.

You can also equip ( although this has no effect on the player yet), some items or drop them again. Dropping them creates another treasure pile in front of the player.

I need to do some work around the master item list, and item parameters.
That sounds fantastic. :D What are you using for the items data?

Ernisius

Post by Ernisius »

For now I' m using information from here.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Daggerfall

I'm using just parameters that I need for the inventory mechanics,
ie Name, Description, icon, type(weapon,armour etc),

but because each inventory item is an instance of the item class, parameters can be added as required without affecting the code.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Ernisius, you should keep an eye on my development branch on GitHub. I'm about to check in a new API class for reading native item templates from FALL.EXE. My research has expanded somewhat on the file hacking information available on UESP and may help fill in some blanks.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... n-progress

Items, loot tables, treasure piles, and expanded monsters are on the roadmap for 1.4, but please don't let this stop you from working on your implementation. It will be a while before I'm ready to even talk about these features and as usual I'm just building a bridge between Daggerfall's native data and Unity, not working on any specific implementation. But if my work in progress can be helpful please use whatever you need. :)

Ernisius

Post by Ernisius »

items.rar
(2.5 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Thats great, Thanks.

I used your ItemsFile.cs to extract the item data from Fall.exe.

Total of 288 items. I was surprised to see no itemtypes except ingredients, because Daggerfall inventory sorts on these types.

I've attached the list as a csv file, in case anyone has some free time to fill in some missing information.
It needs descriptions and item types, ingredient effects.
Also some items are not relevant for an inventory.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Ernisius wrote:
items.rar
Total of 288 items. I was surprised to see no itemtypes except ingredients, because Daggerfall inventory sorts on these types.
This is just item template data, mind. When you find an item in game, it starts from this table then is extended with material type, damage, magical effects, etc. If you pick up the resultant item it gets stored wholly in the inventory data in your save game. Changing the item template data has no effect on items already in your inventory, only on new items subsequently spawned from the template (e.g. shop or drop).

I have a feeling the item types are hardcoded into the exe (sadly like a lot of Daggerfall's game logic). You can overwrite every single field of one item with another (for example copy Ruby > Dagger). The next time a Dagger spawns, it will be called something like "Iron Ruby", it will look like a ruby, but it still equips in the hand like a Dagger and the game still knows to load the correct weapon CIF when you draw the weapon.

I'd say it's definitely a good idea to break away from the native formats here and build a cleaner (more easy to mod) set of data structures. This is part of what I'm doing with 1.4, but it's still too early to say much about it.