How do I update once I'm up and running?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
BillyBulletz

How do I update once I'm up and running?

Post by BillyBulletz »

So I can get the latest build going okay. Just wondering how to keep it updated. Not sure what to download or where on Github. Should I just overwrite in my Unity folder? I'm loving this, BTW! I'm old enough to remember buying Arena off the shelves and having to get patches for Daggerfall on a 3 1/2 disk in the mail. Thank you so much for this! :D

Narf the Mouse

Re: How do I update once I'm up and running?

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I just make a new folder and copy StreamingAssets over without overwriting. Seems to work well.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome! :)

If you're using the live builds, you can download a new one each time there's a release. Just make sure you extract it into a new DFU folder each time. Don't attempt to paste a new build over an old one.

Your save games and much of your configuration will carry over, so upgrading is a pretty simple process.

BillyBulletz

Post by BillyBulletz »

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the heads up. I guess I need to remember that Unity is in its own folder, separate from Daggerfall. It's similar to updating things with TortoiseSVN I guess. Thanks again.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:58 pm I just make a new folder and copy StreamingAssets over without overwriting. Seems to work well.
Don't do this with overwriting - note the bold part above in Narf's suggestion!
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods