[Linux] Few problems (too dark, mouse pointer)

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Erlaak

[Linux] Few problems (too dark, mouse pointer)

Post by Erlaak »

Hi all,

just found about Daggerfall Unity a couple weeks ago, and holy cow I had a blast playing it again. Thank you so much for reminding me that I'm 25 years older now... :lol: I didn't remember it to be so hard... must have grown soft.

I am mostly playing on Linux (ubuntu 20.04, with the 440.64 drivers), i7-6700, GF gtx 1060M 6GB, 16GB of ram.
I also tried it on Windows 10 (same mods).

Couldn't find any topics about that so here goes.
On Linux (compared to Windows):
- the dungeons are way too dark. I can't see anything at all if I am not near a fire/torch, or if I am not carrying my own light.
- the mouse cursor (e.g: at the startup screen) is way bigger (hides the first letters of the tooltips)

Is this done on purpose? Is there an option to tune that? Or maybe this is a unity problem.
I can provide a couple screenshots if needed.

Oh and just for info, some options in the post processing mod makes my GPU scream (while Skyrim and ESO run on ultra).

Thanks again for the amazing work you've done!

Cheers,
Erlaak

jefetienne

Re: [Linux] Few problems (too dark, mouse pointer)

Post by jefetienne »

Welcome to the forums! :)
Erlaak wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:56 am the mouse cursor (e.g: at the startup screen) is way bigger (hides the first letters of the tooltips)
Normally I've heard people having issues with flickering mouse cursors due to having certain controllers plugged in, but you're saying you're having a larger cursor? Are you able to click on options, and are you able to provide screenshots of it?
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

pango

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums Erlaak!
Erlaak wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:56 am just found about Daggerfall Unity a couple weeks ago, and holy cow I had a blast playing it again. Thank you so much for reminding me that I'm 25 years older now... :lol: I didn't remember it to be so hard... must have grown soft.
It depends a lot on the character build, so it's difficult to compare runs.
Also, it gets somewhat easier as your character develops, so if you had memories from a character you used for a while, new character from scratch all the sudden looks a lot more difficult...
Erlaak wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:56 am On Linux (compared to Windows):
- the dungeons are way too dark. I can't see anything at all if I am not near a fire/torch, or if I am not carrying my own light.
I develop under Linux, so the Linux version should be in check at all times (that's one of the reasons I got involved in the first place). On the other hand I barely ever use Windows, so I can't really compare Daggerfall Unity in the two environments.

About brightness, you probably need to adjust it in your videocard settings, there's no such control inside Daggerfall Unity. Maybe adjust it with nvidia-settings, and make sure nvidia-settings -l is started at the beginning of your session to reapply video configuration.
Erlaak wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:56 am - the mouse cursor (e.g: at the startup screen) is way bigger (hides the first letters of the tooltips)
I've only seen it mentioned with DREAM mod thread I think (can't find the reference at the moment). I've experienced it too, but didn't see Linux mentioned so figured it was a general issue with how tooltip are positioned vs the cursor. Maybe there's some work to do on that front...
Erlaak wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:56 am Oh and just for info, some options in the post processing mod makes my GPU scream (while Skyrim and ESO run on ultra).
Postprocessing mod just enables effects from Unity effects pack, we have zero control over those.
But I'm kind of surprised, I don't remember much performance complains about that mod specifically, a more detailed report could be useful.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Erlaak

Post by Erlaak »

Thanks for the quick replies!

Here are a couple screenshots, one for windows, the other linux. You can see the size difference. No biggie tho, I can live with it. ;)

For the brightness, I will have a look at the nvidia settings! But lately I've been playing a few windows game under Linux with Steam's Proton (ESO, Ori, Mars War Logs, ...) and I see absolutely no difference when I play them under Windows (this works so well!).
pango wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:18 pm It depends a lot on the character build, so it's difficult to compare runs.
Also, it gets somewhat easier as your character develops, so if you had memories from a character you used for a while, new character from scratch all the sudden looks a lot more difficult...
Ha you're right, and now come to think of it I remember creating a character with easy to train primary skills, like weapons, running, sneaking, climbing... so that I would level very quickly.
Attachments
dfu_mouse_win_crop.jpg
dfu_mouse_win_crop.jpg (27.03 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
dfu_mouse_linux_crop.jpg
dfu_mouse_linux_crop.jpg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Last edited by Erlaak on Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Post by pango »

MMmh looking at the screen shots, it looks like some issue with custom mouse cursor size more than tooltips positioning...

My best guess: that cursor native size is 64x64, but Windows only supports hardware cursors up to 32x32 so the cursor is downsized on Windows?
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

I wrote a PR for the cursor/tooltips issue, but it's open to discussions...
-- Charles Goodhart

Erlaak

Post by Erlaak »

Hi, not sure if this info is relevant at all, but the mouse pointer is fine when running DFU with Proton.