Magic item with wrong name.

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
pango

Re: Magic item with wrong name.

Post by pango »

Here's a save with the Short Tunic of Venom Spitting already identified
Attachments
SAVE1319.rar
(237.3 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

No idea for now then. :)

My best guess is the template data is being pulled from an unpatched game data source rather than the bundled JSON as expected. There are a few hands in that item process other than mine, so mental map is likely incomplete. Would need to review loot generation to confirm.

pango

Post by pango »

It was King of Worms' reward for completing "Soul of a Lich", so that could be a quest reward thing:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/852474769?t=1h1m30s
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks Pango. :) I can confirm this is game data. I've reviewed the process and ItemBuilder.CreateRegularMagicItem() invokes template data from MAGIC.DEF. So if game data is unpatched then old template name will inherit into DFU.

It looks like MagicItemTemplates data isn't used here after all, so my mental map is indeed incorrect. I'm using patched game data (via DaggerfallGameFiles) and don't experience the issue.

The data in MagicItemTemplates.txt is just a fixed version of MAGIC.DEF dumped to JSON. It should be trivial to use this template data instead of MAGIC.DEF. This was the intention when setting this data up, so I must have missed refactoring once it was ready.

Edit: Have refactored creating magical items to use the fixed JSON data instead of MAGIC.DEF now. This will correct future instances of this item from 0.11.1 and later. But items created before this version might still be based off wrong template - depending on user's game data.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... a13aead166

RonFromHighRock

Post by RonFromHighRock »

Coming in late from a long history of playing Daggerfall. (In fact I still have it on a Pentium 90 that would probably boot up if I put a power supply in it) This was an issue with the original game, loaded from the original CD, as well as whatever the first attempt at a redo version (that ran on DOS Box) and also on a new PC with the files from the Daggerfall Unity with no mods loaded within the last month. Don't know if any of that is helpful but thought I would put it out there in case it is helpful.