[0.12.3] King of Worms Totem Quest Reward Fame Not Received

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
WillowAtDusk

[0.12.3] King of Worms Totem Quest Reward Fame Not Received

Post by WillowAtDusk »

Hi, this is my first time on the forums, so apologies if my etiquette is off (I normally go with streetwise anyway).

I'm at the part in the main quest where you get to decide who to give the totem to. I saw that giving the totem to the King of Worms was meant to increase your reputation with several factions, but was bugged in the original game. I read it was fixed in Unity (since everything of the DFQFIX was applied). So, I wanted to take advantage of that reputation boost.

However, after giving the King of Worms the totem, I did not see the reputation in my "Affiliations" go up. I assumed that maybe the reputation in the guilds differed from the reputation I was meant to receive. But when I looked at the save file faction data, my rep with most of the factions that should've been affected was still zero.

Is this a bug? Or do I need to wait for a certain amount of time in game for the word to spread (I did pass some time but still didn't see rep go up, but maybe it's longer)? I tested this without mods and without the warm ashes questspack I had installed in case they were causing any issues, but looking at my save file data after handing the totem over, my rep still didn't change.

I am currently running windows_32bit-v0.12.3-beta. I will attach a save file of me about to talk to the King of Worms if that is necessary. This may just be some misunderstanding on my part. But I would like to be able to get that promised reputation 😅 Let me know if anything else is needed.
Attachments
SAVE26.zip
(348.84 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

Jay_H

Re: [0.12.3] King of Worms Totem Quest Reward Fame Not Received

Post by Jay_H »

Indeed this is a bug with the quest file. I could give you a file that would fix it, but I think a direct fix would actually be easier in this case.

Open the file /DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Quests/S0000106.txt inside your Daggerfall Unity installation. Go down to line 49. It should say,

Code: Select all

Person _fightersguild_ face 72 faction The_Fighters_Guild local
Change that to

Person _fightersguild_ face 72 faction The_Fighters_Guild remote
and save the change. Then load up your save, and it should proceed properly; it did for me. You have to wait a few seconds for the reputation change to register, so wait about 10 seconds and then check your reputation sheet.

I'll upload this change for the next DFU version so this editing will be unnecessary in the future.

One oddity that I can't explain is, the change is written +100 in the quest file, but it only grants +50 in your save file. I'm hoping someone more technical can find the reason behind that.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums WillowAtDusk! Thank you for providing a save at just the moment bug happens - very helpful.

Jay, you're a superstar! Thanks for fixing so quickly. :)

I looked into the +50 and found this is a side-effect of reputation propagation and random background ally/enemy simulation. In this save's FactionData.txt, "The School of Julianos" (ID94) is currently at war with The Mages Guild (ID40).

When propagating reputation gains to allies, this is +amount/2 and to enemies it's -amount/2. So character gets +100 rep to Mages Guilds from quest and -50 rep again thanks to Mages being enemies currently with Julianos. Dang.

If I zero out the below line in FactionData.txt to erase the animosity, then character gets to full 100 to Mages as expected.

"enemy1": 40,
Sometimes Daggerfall is gonna be Daggerfall. :evil:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Well, it's good to know the system is working, even if it's to our detriment :lol:

WillowAtDusk

Post by WillowAtDusk »

Thank you for such a speedy response! I was hoping to complete the main quest over Thanksgiving break, so I can easily proceed with that now. Of course, I could've given the totem to someone more worthwhile, but with my character mostly having worked with the Dark Brotherhood and Witch Covens, I felt it was appropriate it to give it the King of Worms. And it would've been sad to not get any reward for that.

Also, I often forget that Daggerfall's world isn't static. Love that there's beef between the Mage's Guild and the school of Julianos right now haha I should probably ask NPCs about news more often.