Installing Older Release over Beta?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Hipnotic Rogue

Installing Older Release over Beta?

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

When I first came here I downloaded the 13.3 beta without thinking too much about it. However, now that I'm getting a little more into the game and its mods I'm thinking I might've made a mistake.

I'm trying out lots of mods to expand the immersion side of the game but sometimes I end up with small unexpected quirks or actual buggy behaviour. Sadly, because I'm new, I've no idea if these quirks are a result of mod conflicts, mod priority or an issue with the beta that I should report.

So, my question is can I install the latest stable release over the latest beta? Will I break things further? Is it easier just to start a fresh game on a fresh install?

Yeah, I know, my one question became three. :P

Ralzar

Re: Installing Older Release over Beta?

Post by Ralzar »

First of all: You should never install a new build "over" another build. You download the new build and unpack it into a new folder then run it from there.

Second: We are pretty close to the next official build. Mod authors have pretty much moved on from 0.12.3 to the point where you will soon run into the problem of mods requiring a higher version.

Your problem probably stems from what mods you are using, not the version of DFU. Most likely you are simply using one or more mod with bugs or you have combined mods that cause buggy behaviour.
Last edited by Ralzar on Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Other than a few minor fixes, 0.13.3 is very close to next stable beta release. Most of the major mods are already prepared for this and moving on from 0.12. I'm likely to release 0.13.4 without "preview" tag in next week or so.

But it's no problem to grab 0.12.3, just be sure unzip to its own folder and setup mods clean for that version. When downloading mods, check the mod itself is intended for 0.12 and not 0.13.

Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

Thanks for the replies. I'll just hold off until the next release then. Speaking of which, can I just copy over my StreamingAssets folder into a new installation or can that cause issues too?

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

Hipnotic Rogue wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:27 pm Thanks for the replies. I'll just hold off until the next release then. Speaking of which, can I just copy over my StreamingAssets folder into a new installation or can that cause issues too?
You can, but it's not best practice. (Some of the files in StreamingAssets might change)
It's best only to copy mods, quest-packs... from the old StreamingAssets to the new one.

See this.
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

Thanks for your patience and advice. As a newcomer to the DF community I appreciate it. Coming fresh to a game with such a long history and such a knowledgable user base, it can be a little intimidating. :)