new noob modder to educate

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
AXO

new noob modder to educate

Post by AXO »

Hello everybody ,

I was trying to create some mod with unity and I'm following the old tutorials without problem (except the right hand weapon that I can not change) until City Basic but now when i try to exit from a building don't work andi have in console this message :

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.PlayerEnterExit.NewMethod1 (Vector3 position) (at Assets/Scripts/Game/PlayerEnterExit.cs:437)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.PlayerEnterExit.NewMethod (Vector3 position) (at Assets/Scripts/Game/PlayerEnterExit.cs:432)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.PlayerEnterExit.TransitionExterior (Boolean doFade) (at Assets/Scripts/Game/PlayerEnterExit.cs:415)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.PlayerActivate.Update () (at Assets/Scripts/Game/PlayerActivate.cs:72)

I state that I have never used unity before i'm very noob ! :lol: I only see a resemblance to unreal engine with which I did little things

note : i have used my Basic scene instead default scene i can't find (probably change name from old version i think)with Player standalone script instead Player script for the same reason

someone has an idea of ​​how to fix my ignorance ? :lol:

thanks to all for our wonderful job guys ;)

Interkarma

Re: new noob modder to educate

Post by Interkarma »

Those old tutorials were for Daggerfall Tools For Unity, rather than for Daggerfall Unity. They're quite out of date by now. Some parts (like the dual wield) are no longer in the code base. I will update the DFTFU tutorials one day when things have settled down.

TheLacus has some updated information for the creation of mods for Daggerfall Unity here.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dagg ... y/modding/

Modding Daggerfall Unity is largely an exercise in programming as the game is quite procedural in nature. The trick is to work out what system you want to introduce or enhance and find a way to overlay your new behaviour through events or other hooks. It helps to start with something ultra simple and move up piece by piece.

AXO

Post by AXO »

thanks for the answer, I was following that post before but I could not even say hello to my world, :roll: so I thought I had not set well unity ...
I re-read the post of LypyL better and in case I ask them for clarification .
thank you.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Just so you know, it can be hard to follow - I'm an experienced programmer and it took me a week of baby steps to get my mod up and running so I could start getting it to do things. Just sayin' not to get disheartened if you can't figure it out in a couple hours...
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods