Why do terrain billboards get attracted to facing east or west when looking up or down?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Channel1

Why do terrain billboards get attracted to facing east or west when looking up or down?

Post by Channel1 »

When looking up or down, the terrain sprites (trees, bushes, cacti...) start getting attracted to facing east or west, instead of where they should(?) be, is this just an inherent limitation of the implementation in DFU? I'm playing on very low quality.

Interkarma

Re: Why do terrain billboards get attracted to facing east or west when looking up or down?

Post by Interkarma »

It's just the transform for camera-facing billboards glitching out a bit when looking up or down towards extreme vertical constraints (i.e approaching 90 degrees straight up or down).

Probably some bad math in the shader on my part. Can't say I've ever noticed it until you pointed it out. I need to do a pass on this shader later anyway, as these billboards also don't cast shadows after midday due to how I handle the normals. I'll take a look at both issues when I get to it on a polishing pass later.

Channel1

Re: Why do terrain billboards get attracted to facing east or west when looking up or down?

Post by Channel1 »

Ok, should I post this as a bug report in the bug reports forums? Or is it too insignificant/not really a bug? Sorry if all the "bugs" I notice are the more polishing related things BTW...

PS the map feels MUCH better in the latest build. :D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'd say it's more of a polishing thing than a bug. I've already added it to my internal list for resolution later. Thanks for letting me know. :)