Not sure if bug or "working as intended" - Everything's killing me

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Narf the Mouse

Not sure if bug or "working as intended" - Everything's killing me

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Edit: Character: Breton Spellsword.

So I started outside the dungeon. Did some "kill animal in house" quests for money. As long as I only got hit once, that was fine. Not a problem; low-level and with little to no armour. The "rat or bat" quest stood a good chance of killing me. Currently level 2, with chain armour everywhere except greaves and boots, which are leather. Also a kite shield, because my class does not permit tower shields. My axe skill is 40, and I'm using an Elven axe.

Last time I did a "rat or bat" quest, I ended up with about 1/10th health. Giants kill me in two hits. I've noticed no real decrease in the amount of damage from tigers or bears.

If this does sound odd, I'll post it in bug reports. Otherwise, well, the game does seem harder than classic, but I normally play classic with an optimized custom class. I'm not sure it'd make that much difference, though.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Re: Not sure if bug or "working as intended" - Everything's killing me

Post by Interkarma »

The combat damage and mitigation formulas are matched to classic. The enemy movement, attack, and turning speeds should also be very close, as are player attack speeds. It will get easier as you level up and get better equipment. Daggerfall is famously difficult at low levels, especially for spellcasters and hybrids.

If you find it hard to dodge incoming attacks (side-to-side or push-pull combat), try setting your input acceleration all the way up to 10.0 in advanced settings from startup UI. This disables input acceleration completely and makes player move in a stop/go fashion just like classic.

Note that it's harder to make micro-movements and variable jumps with acceleration at max, but that's just like classic as well.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:43 pm The combat damage and mitigation formulas are matched to classic. The enemy movement, attack, and turning speeds should also be very close, as are player attack speeds. It will get easier as you level up and get better equipment. Daggerfall is famously difficult at low levels, especially for spellcasters and hybrids.

If you find it hard to dodge incoming attacks (side-to-side or push-pull combat), try setting your input acceleration all the way up to 10.0 in advanced settings from startup UI. This disables input acceleration completely and makes player move in a stop/go fashion just like classic.

Note that it's harder to make micro-movements and variable jumps with acceleration at max, but that's just like classic as well.
I've tried kiting enemies; no use, they just keep up with me. In classic, they halt while attacking, which has typically been the only time my low-level characters could physically dodge attacks in classic.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

They halt while attacking in Daggerfall Unity also. Just need to time those backpedals. :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:41 pm They halt while attacking in Daggerfall Unity also. Just need to time those backpedals. :)
Good to know. :)