[SOLVED] Music doesn't loop seamlessly?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Nash

Re: [Fixed] Music doesn't loop seamlessly?

Post by Nash »

Nash wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:26 am Image

Finally finished trimming the songs. There are a total of 132 songs that had to be worked on, and I tried a lot of things since my initial attempt last year. The first obvious attempt was to use automation. My music software has (a horribly oudated) scripting language, so after some observation, it seems that the "ghost" notes at the end of the songs are all at 0 velocity. Should be easy enough to do this, so I went ahead and did it. After automating around half of the songs (50 or so), I listened to the result and it seems like it botched up the original song, and it started deleting non-notes (like controller events and what-not). This was a no-go.

On top of that, some songs (like 2) actually already loop seamlessly (the menu music, and 10.mid I think; one of the night themes). To make things even more confusing, some songs have a stray note at the end that was supposed to sort of lead into the start of the song? Long story short, automation wasn't going to work. I had to listen to EVERY song, and apply slightly different treatment to each of them.

Suffice it to say, doing this for 132 songs was not fun. :P

Well, I finally got all of them, I hope, but here's the thing - a lot of these songs I have not heard in-game, so I don't really have any good memories WRT to how they're supposed to loop. I suppose if any of them sounds wrong, I can follow up with fix PRs.

But enough talk, here's the PR: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/1450

PR was merged, so I suppose this can be closed as [Fixed]. :) If anyone finds any of the songs are looping wrongly, please let me know.
Nash Muhandes

Jay_H

Re: [SOLVED] Music doesn't loop seamlessly?

Post by Jay_H »

I won't close this so as to give an opportunity for feedback or bug reports. But great work Nash :)

rbpaiett

Post by rbpaiett »

Sadly, I went and got the latest update to daggerfall unity and the pausing in the music resumed once again :(

== My mistake, I'm using some edited Ogg files and one of them wasn't trimmed, so nevermind :)

rbpaiett

Post by rbpaiett »

There is one problem where at the beginning of the song sunnyday.mid there's a big silence of like 7-8 seconds, it's really annoying. I have no idea where to look because I don't know where Daggerfall Unity is getting it's midi files from and why there's a silence on only that one midi file. The only thing I can't tell is whether it's in the actual midi or something wrong with the (maybe my) settings.

pango

Post by pango »

They're stored under Assets/Resources/Songs:
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... rces/Songs
(don't mind the .bytes suffix)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

KovuCougar

Post by KovuCougar »

New Daggerfall Unity user. I love it.

But I've had this happen too. Tried both 0.10.24 and 0.10.25a. Don't know how to tell name of the song, but I was using the main Arena city song (it's a very easy one to recognize) as my test song, zipping between cities until it triggered to see if it would have the dead air at the end of the loop.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/1450 indicates a fix was merged almost a year ago so I imagine it should have made it into the current preview builds? Is there something extra I need to do?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for coming to the forums and making a report Kovu, I remember your post on nexus.

rbpaiett

Post by rbpaiett »

There is one daytime music that still has silence at the end and as soon as I come across it, I'll identify it with tdbg and pass it along. It appears to be the daytime equivalent of OVERCAST.MID.

rbpaiett

Post by rbpaiett »

Ok, found the midi in question. The name is sunnyday.mid and the odd thing about this is the silence is at the beginning and not at the end.

Anyway, there u go.
Hope the info is helpful and please respond when you read this so I know this didn't disappear into the void :D