Character will not swing weapon

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
jayhova

Character will not swing weapon

Post by jayhova »

For some reason, my character will not swing his weapon. I will rarely get the PC to swing so I wind up dying in the opening dungeon.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

R.D.

Re: Character will not swing weapon

Post by R.D. »

I also remember being unable to swing with the default settings. I then used the settings someone had posted here and it fixed my problem. I think I'm still using them.

I don't remember what settings I changed, but at the startup screen, try clicking "Advanced" then setting "WeaponAttackThreshold" to 0.03. I think that might be the relevant setting.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Mine is already set to this and I have to move the mouse a large distance to trigger the weapon. Is there a way to get back to this screen from inside the game?

It would also be nice if there was a short delay after the right mouse button is released that mouse sensitivity is low. This is because my hand is still moving for a short time after I release the button and I wind up looking at the floor or ceiling etc.

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

Sorry, looks like 0.03 is the default value. I'm not having trouble with that value.

Here is the thread I was thinking about:
https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=345

I don't know if it's still current, but there is information in there. You can see one person in there saying the following worked well for them:

WeaponSwingThreshold = 0.9
WeaponSwingTriggerCount = 2 (I think this is no longer a setting, so ignore this)
WeaponSensitivity = 1.2
Is there a way to get back to this screen from inside the game?
I don't think it's possible to get back from in-game to the settings screen. You have to restart the program.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

A few things that might help:
  • Check your frame-rate is a solid 60 fps. We can't sample input while frames are rendering and poor frame-rates make gesture attacks much more difficult.
  • Decrease "Weapon Attack Threshold" in increments of 0.005 (e.g. 0.025, 0.02, 0.015, 0.01, etc.) and see if that helps.
  • Increase "Weapon Sensitivity" in increments of 0.5. The higher this is, the easier it will be to trigger attack gestures. But it can also make it harder (see notes at end).
  • Increase character SPD and try different weapons. High SPD characters with fast weapons will attack much faster than low SPD characters with slow weapons due to a shorter cooldown period.
  • Ensure you initiate gesture only after previous attack and cooldown is complete. Think of it like a rhythm game where the beats are spread by character and weapon speed. If you're moving the mouse during an attack or cooldown, that gesture is ignored. You can keep attack button held between attacks, don't release until you actually need move.
  • If you still have trouble, enable "Click to Attack" in settings and ignore the classic gesture attack system altogether.
The attack gestures are based on a radial sample over travel distance. To initiate an attack, you must hold the attack button and really draaag the mouse in one consistent direction (horizontally, diagonally, vertically). Diverging too much from one direction will break sampling, as will slow frame times.

The "Weapon Attack Threshold" reduces the gesture length while "Weapon Sensitivity" multiplies the mouse travel vector. This means that "Weapon Sensitivity" can also multiply wandering gestures if you don't have a steady hand. I don't recommend ramping this up to 10.0 unless you have a very low sensitivity mouse. Usually 1.0-3.0 is more than enough.

If all else fails, the "Click to Attack" setting will bypass all of the above. Good luck! :)

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Okay, a WAT of 0.01 seems to get it to semi-functional level. Is there an easy way to check framerate in-game? BTW I am using an actual Microsoft IntelliMouse if that makes any difference (which I'm sure it doesn't). It seems strange that I should need to change this setting so drastically. Can you confirm that there is no way to change this setting in-game?

It's been a while since I played DF and the initial dungeon is as difficult as I remember.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Open the console using backquote/tilde key and enter command "tdbg" (without quotes). This toggles some debug info on/off, including a basic fps counter and frame time. Ideally will have a frame time of around 16ms give or take.

Edit: Frame-time counter will go to 0 when game is paused and output some weird fps values. Can just ignore this when game is paused.

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Just a guess, but if we are talking about the original Microsoft IntelliMouse, it has a very low CPI by today's standards (=400). Not sure how the operating system's mouse settings affect DFU mouse movement detection, but I would do as Interkarma suggested: try to increase WeaponSensitivity.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

The original mouse mechanics of Daggerfall are so bizarre, I'd be pretty concerned about leaving them default for final release. As evidenced by this post, not even being able to swing your weapon reliably isn't a very good first impression. And once you do mess with the slider and get it working, you still can't look around while swinging.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:47 am The original mouse mechanics of Daggerfall are so bizarre, I'd be pretty concerned about leaving them default for final release. As evidenced by this post, not even being able to swing your weapon reliably isn't a very good first impression. And once you do mess with the slider and get it working, you still can't look around while swinging.
I played classic Daggerfall in lots of computers, and so did friends of mine, and never had problems swinging.

In my view the mouse gesture attack mechanics are one of the most brilliant, immersion-enhancing things in Daggerfall, and I always miss them in other games.